Lance Ellis Vs Jared Brooks poll

BestSportEver

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestling is so advanced? C'mon. It is still a matter of position as it was thousands of years ago, how a wrestler finishes might change but it is still related to the position. Pretty arrogant to think that you whippersnappers have changed it SO much in twenty years that wasn't accomplished in thousands. I witnessed Lance Ellis at an AAU tournament in Beech Grove after the '87 season wrestle at 154, after wrestling at 112 for his high school season, pick a guy up completely upside down by his ankle and wrist on the same side of his body, hold him out and upside down from his body while he carried him to the center of the mat and chuck him like a feed sack for four points cause the guy landed on his back, try that one. Maybe a handful of guys could ever do that at the sophmore age while in competition. The second most incredible thing I witnessed was a 360 spin on one foot and then shoot off the spin and get the takedown at semi-state no less. I could only look around and hope someone else saw it and it wasn't a hallucination. Remember it like it was yesterday.

What yrs did Ellis wrestle & what weight classes?

Ellis wrestled around 85-88 at the 98# weight class.  I have seen him wrestle, and loose to him.  I see him winning by fall on some type of throw late in the match.

"

Matts, I hope we are on the same page...

Total bunch of scrubs listed here...

Kenny Monday's fireman's has ceased to work in a match since 1997, due to wrestling changing so much.

John Smith's low single did not lead him to an undefeated run at his second Olympic gold medal, and then immedietely stopped working on every one in the world.  His demo. tapes are now sold at wrestling meets as novelty gifts to the aged and once flexible.

Terry Brands has no technique and can't coach at a high level due to his insistance upon his definition of the Iowa style: collar and tie, underhook, snap, then hip push your opponent out of bounds while signalling for stalling without actual moves ever being attempted.

Lance Ellis's 151 pins would not translate into today's success because pins in the 80's relied heavily upon a Hair Band playing a guitar rift to signal the referee of the fall, while most high schools do not even have their high school band at wrestling meets, and arenas play more pop hits than 80s rock ballads.  Also, what very little people know, Ellis was born throwing laterals with his foot in the air, and with today's wrestlers, that wouldn't work, and since he did not work to develop the skills that lead him to 180-0, he would probably just be a JV wrestler at most high schools. 

Great post.  Love the line" ...aged and once flexible."  you could add the phrase "...and usually sore." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.