Thoughts on State...

MatChick76

After gearing up for weeks in anticipation of the "main event" here are some of my thoughts on State....

Of course, being from the Evansville area, I was a little disappointed in how the Evansville Semi-State wrestlers did.  There were some close matches, some blown calls, some poor wrestling, and some out and out butt kickings.  I'm proud of all of our wrestlers from this area, just thought they'd do better. I don't know if it was jitters or what, but some of the wrestlers just didn't seem to be the same kids I've been watching this season.

Secondly, I thought the officiating was poorly done. Very inconsistent and some very questionable calls throughout the tourney. Too many stalling calls...not enough stalling calls.  Quick "falls" called...and then no calls when someone was obviously flat as a pancake.  Kids being allowed to run from opponents or take their own sweet time to get back to the center...or even better, to continue blocking and pushing people out to try to get stalling calls against their opponent (when they weren't even attempting to wrestle).  I know people are bashing Richey for not being able to keep his feelings in check, but quite honestly, I thought the officiating in that match was suspect, and it felt a little like the ref was singling him out when both wrestlers were pushing the line.

Thirdly...can I get a HELL YEAH for the Hanover Central wrestlers ;D  WOW.  Micic and Petrov were so impressive.  Petrov gets a nod for the MOST EXCITING finals match of the night.  He was on fire throughout this whole tournament - he so deserved to be on top of that podium!!!!

Mitch Sliga gets the nod for best pin of the tourney.  Although that :31 second fall was impressive...pinning Berry (an awesome wrestler in his own right), in that manner in the finals was priceless, really showed off his strength and control - FANTASTIC!!!!

Getting to see another wrestler enter the royal family of 4x champs was a highlight of the tourney...congrats to Jason - he gave us another impressive run of matches in his final year...this kid is going to do great things.  With all the 4x'ers in the house, I would have loved to see them all together on the floor "inducting" Jason into the group ~ would have been really cool.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Dane Maurer and his 3rd place finish.  Finishing his Senior year at 44-1 after 2 years of sitting out...what a work ethic this young man has.  Great finish - it was very special to get to see him and Blake together after his 3rd place finish - it's a great story.

Met some great people from all over and I want to give a shout out to the awesome wrestling fans for making this a great week-end of wrestling!!! Spent a lot of time with some awesome people hailing from the Braves of Bellmont ~ cannot wait for Saturday....it's gonna be a LOUD first round!!!!

As for the "Richey situation"....why did his coach do NOTHING when he was doing all the crazy stuff?

His brother pulled him to the side and was trying to calm him down. People need to realize he is a damn good kid off the mat. He's fairly quiet and reserved, just a whole different person on the mat.

1) PRICE OF ADMISSION - $20.00

2) FOOD AND DRINKS - AROUND $20.00

3)  LUNCH BREAK - $20.00

4) WATCHING MY 11 YEAR OLD GET EXCITED AND NEVER BUDGED DURING THE CHAMPIONSHIPS- AND THEN SAYING TO ME "I AM GOING TO BE LIKE TSIRTSIS" - PRICELESS

2 all session passes: $40

Intermittent food purchases: $35

Lunch at Old Spaghetti: $40

My 7 year old daughter telling me to leave her alone while she watches a match, and then turning to me  seconds later to tell me she's going to be like Kayla Miracle and Brendan Campbell:  you betcha, priceless. 

This was a profound experience for her.  She's talked about nothing but the tournament since we got home and has begged her mom at least  three times to sign her up for  wrestling this summer and to send her to camp. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.