Honor system for ISWA tournaments!

hoosierdad

I have to agree with mat side weigh-ins on the day of the tournament.... I saw kids this past weekend that have been wrestling all season at 1 weight class wrestling 2 weight classes higher after being weighed in.... I know that I'm not perfect ( I had 2 kids from my club miss their weights an 85 that weighed 86.4 and a 120 that weighed 122) I had weighed them Thursday night at practice and then sent in their weights. I would rather see kids wrestle 2 or 3 different weightclasses in a season if that is what their growth requires than a 133 lb Schoolboy wrestling 120 all season( that was just an example)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an issue with this honor system last year.

The week before ISWA folkstyle state my son was wrestling Pee Wee 40 but weighed 36. He was paired up with a kid that looked pretty big for a 40. We asked how much he weighed, his coach said he weighed 47 on Thursday. It turned into a bit of an argument, regrettably.  Eventually the coach told me "We'll see what he weighs next week!".

The next week I looked for the kid's name on the brackets and didn't find it. I also looked on trackwrestling. I was curious what weight he was going to be wrestling. The kid must not have entered.

I know this was my son that was involved here but I would have done it for any of my wrestlers with that obvious of a difference. He practiced with plenty of bigger kids last year and still does, so it wasn't danger of being hurt that I was worried about.  But in a tournament it should be close to a fair match. This was not.

I am not opposed to the honor system if people are somewhat honest. I mean at least keep it within a couple of pounds. It does help tournaments get started on time.

Here is what I propose to fix it...

Keep the satellite, fax-in, email-in weigh-ins.  This way brackets can be done ahead of time. Still have a weigh-in to confirm weights.  Drop the tenths off of actual weight like they did at ISWA Elementary State Duals. For example 105.9 is a good weight for 105. If someone comes in overweight they would need to pay for a second entry or re-entry into the tournament to wrestle at the correct weight. That will keep it honest and would help pay for the trouble of re-doing a bracket.

What do you guys think of that?

Your idea is what my club parents and other parents I have talked to about this subject have said

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.