HOF Article - Coach Vlink - Crown Point Bulldogs

Bomber

Here is a nice little article about Coach Vlink being inducted into the Wrestling Hall Of Fame.  This article was posted in the Hammond Times today 12/16/2011. 

I would like to CONGRATULATE Coach Vlink and his Crown Point Bulldogs with all thier hardwork and dedication they have put into this wonderful sport of wrestling. 

Keep up the GREAT WORK COACH!!!

Link to article posted below: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/wrestling/c-p-s-vlink-to-be-inducted-into-wrestling-hall/article_67482e63-ed00-5f06-a752-414063332e49.html?mode=story

Scott Vlink is kind of like the old Lake County Courthouse in Crown Point. The Bulldogs' wrestling coach has been around for quite awhile and his resume is as impressive as the beautiful old building that anchors "The Square."

Vlink was notified recently he will be inducted into the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association's Hall of Fame after the state finals.

"I was humbled," Vlink said Thursday, his 56th birthday. "It's taken us some time to get where we're at. We've tried to do the right things. We have good administration that supports us. We have great kids and great parents. And we've been lucky, too."

Heading into Thursday's dual against Lake Central, Vlink's career record is 394-123 in dual meets. He became Crown Point's varsity coach in 1980.

His Bulldogs have won seven individual state championships along with 40 medalists. And Vlink won the IHSAA's team state title in 2009. The IHSWCA gave Crown Point the team state championship in 2009 and 2011 from the individual state tournament.

The Bulldogs have won eight regionals, 18 sectionals and 13 conference titles, including five straight in the Duneland Athletic Conference.

Calumet coach Jim Wadkins will receive the Billy Thom Award at the induction banquet.

Vlink credited former 'Dogs athletic director Brad Smith and former wrestling coach Bud Ballou for being great mentors and teachers when he was a fresh-faced coach out of Indiana State.

"Those guys taught me how to coach kids and how to do the right things," Vlink said. "I'm just very grateful and thankful."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.