Class Tournament Compromise

ENoblewrestling

Just a thought here.  Obviously the classed fans, and the one class fans are miles apart when it comes to the individual side.  So last night I was thinking of some kind of compramise that would work for both groups.  Im still a fan of a one class tournament so I havent taken the time to figure out teams per sectional or anything like that but here is what I thought up.

What I would propose as a compromise would be a two or four class tournament that came together at the state level to crown the top 8 wrestlers, this way we would get the even representation that the class supporters want and the deserving top placers that the one class group wants.

This format would need to take 32 to state in order to make sure the deserving wrestlers in both classes make it.  You would wrestle a two class sectional, regional, and semi-state.  At the four semi-states you would end up with the top four wrestlers in the two classes, similar to our current format, these would be your state qualifiers.  Then at the finals the two classes come together and wrestle a state finals simalar to what we have now, with the exception that it would have 32 kids and you would need to win twice to place.  You could even have it so that a class AA #1 would wrestle a class 1 A# 4, thus giving small school guys a better chance to place.

In a tournament like this you would get the representation that class fans want, and the top wrestlers that the one class want.  I feel it would be a better option than a battle of classed champions at the end of the tournament, we would still have the true top eight this way, and schools of all sizes would get the experiance of having finalists.

You could do a similar style of tournament with four classes were the top two advance in each of the four classes, but I feel that this version would really hurt the oppurtunity of many of the top kids esspecially in the bigger schools.

So there is my Idea, let me know what you think, rip it to shreds for all I care, im still a one class guy, but it seems like a pretty fair compromise to me.

i am a small school guy and i would like to see something similar to that. i would like to see something like top 8 at semi-state advance. that would leave the sectionals regionals and semi-state layouts the same and  increase the state totals for a weight to 32. that would advance everyone from the ticket round forward. then have two rounds on friday night to knock it down to 8 for saturday. i guarantee they would almost fill conseco fieldhouse on friday night that way. ihsaa could double there money made by doubling the amount of wrestlers.  and all regional qualifiers would really bust there tail knowing they would only have to win 1 at semi-state to advance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.