Indiana Grappler Magazine

IntegratedCarp

I started to post this question:

Whatever happened to the old Indiana Grappler magazine?  That was a pretty cool publication back in the day.  Especially before the internet came around.  I am guessing it existed from the late 1980s until the mid 1990s.  I still have several old issues at home.  I think some guy out of Bloomington used to print it.  Last I recall, they changed the name from the Indiana Grappler to the American Grappler and started a fledgling web site around 1996.  But then I moved out of the state and lost track.

Then I searched the web site and found this answer from TheAncientElder:

The Indiana Grappler/The American Grappler:

The paper/magazine was published from 1989 to 1998. The last issue was the September 1998 issue.

It started out as The Indiana Grappler, in paper form, in 1988/89.

It changed to a magazine for the September 1991 issue.

The name was changed to The American Grappler starting with the September 1994 issue.

Great magazine but cost and the Internet finally did it in.

It did the rankings on a monthly basis.

The founder/publisher was Rick Chitwood. Rick wrestled for Columbus North HS and was a state qualifier at HWT in 1980.

He was related to all of the Chitwoods that wrestled for Bloomington/Bloomington South.

He received the IHSWCA Media award at the IHSWCA Hall Of Fame banquet in 1992.

Rich also received several national awards for the magazine and for his photography.

***It might be tough to do this because of copyright, but it would be cool to have a section on Indianamat.com with all that old data.  There are some great articles and interesting people ranked in the old prep power polls.  Plus, I think it would be good if today's wrestlers could read that stuff.****

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.