Elementary Duals State

DLane

Just to be clear. A team can have a wrestler who lives in any community or county, just as long as he or she attends the club of which he or she is wrestling for (on a regular basis)? I am still confused on the new and last minute guidelines. Any clarification will be appriciated. Thanks

As I understand it, the rule was changed in order to allow wrestlers who attend a club in a in a nearby school district or community to be a part of the team, because there is none offered in their area, Also, there are parochial schools such as Mater Dei, Roncolli, etc. that should not be excluded. However, a wrestler must be an active member of the club and practice exclusively with that club on a regular (weekly or bi-weekly) basis. Also, I think it does matter where they live. If a wrestler shows up on a team roster but lives a great distance from where the club practices, his/her membership should be called into question.  The rule was modified in order to afford as many clubs as possible the opportunity to participate, not to give any club license to load a team by recruiting wrestlers from outside their community. 

what is the rule on this?

club "A" has kids come to them for practice cause its a better wrestling program. but the kids live 20 min away or longer  and do not attend thier community club that has a program cause its not as good as club "A". so can those kids wrestle for club "A" or do they need to wrestle for thier community team where they attend school at?

As I understand it, the rule was changed in order to allow wrestlers who attend a club in a in a nearby school district or community to be a part of the team, because there is none offered in their area, Also, there are parochial schools such as Mater Dei, Roncolli, etc. that should not be excluded. However, a wrestler must be an active member of the club and practice exclusively with that club on a regular (weekly or bi-weekly) basis. Also, I think it does matter where they live. If a wrestler shows up on a team roster but lives a great distance from where the club practices, his/her membership should be called into question.  The rule was modified in order to afford as many clubs as possible the opportunity to participate, not to give any club license to load a team by recruiting wrestlers from outside their community. 

Please clarify. Under this rule any one who attends CIA, The Region Academy, Contenders, Red Cobra, State Street, or any other Elite club to make themselves better on the days on which they are not attending their community based clubs, will not be allowed to particiapate. The vast majority of our ISWA elite wrestlers attend these elite clubs as well as their community clubs. We can not disallow these boys who live, come to the community based clubs, and seek further instuction. I do not know about the rest of the clubs, but I encourage my boys to attend other rooms to better themselves. However, this does not make them less of a member of our club. All members of our club and duel meet team live within a few miles of our school and attend on a regular basis. All members pay and are considered equal. Duels meet spots are given to the best wrestlers as determined by wrestle offs. There are very few elite ISWA members who "practice exclusively" at one club. Is this not why we provide RTC's? To encourage additional training and allow the athletes to push each other in new or different environments. This requirement will make it more difficult to field a team not help.

I guess they way I understood it was that you had to be a card carrying member of that club.  What club you purchased your USA card from.  I thought that is why they put the club affiation on the front of the USA card.

Bryan Bailey

in the rules it states you have to have a report card. is the report card to verfiy grade or your community school?

for exmaple...if your school is moorseville but you wrestle youth plainfield program. your community team would be mooresville not plainfield in a team state tournament. and if i wanted my kid to be on plainfield team all i would have to do is buy a usa card. that doesnt make a community kid.

so all people have to do is buy another usa card with that club on it

another exmaple..

my boys attend contenders 3 days a week and avon 2 days a week. we have our usa cards with "contenders" on them. both my boys live in avon both attend avon schools and live 1 mile from avon high school where the club practices. since my boys attend contenders and have a usa card with contenders on it they can not attend team dual state?

I guess they way I understood it was that you had to be a card carrying member of that club.  What club you purchased your USA card from.  I thought that is why they put the club affiation on the front of the USA card.

Bryan Bailey

I can see this point, but as we all know the USA Card expires in September. Most clubs do not start until November or December. So with that said, are we not to wrestle until our club starts (and we issue cards)? Many kids just pick up their cards wherever it is they are getting in their off season workouts. Again, in our club that does not make them less of a member. It just means that they pay $30 less (due to the fact that they have a card already). The rules which were in place last week were very clear. I know that the ISWA means well, but this last minute change in the rules is not clear. Lets just go with what we have been taking up to this point and be done with it. Maybe next year we can get together and bang something out. We all all friends and can make this work. Maybe next year we adopt something similar to Disney Duels where as we take a community team and allow a certain number of kids from outside to complete a line up. I would say 3 or 4.

InfoLady can we get an offical ruling from the ISWA so we can get this together a.s.a.p. If not I am sure that we all can make a gentlemens agreement and move forward. Thanks.

From ISWA Web site

The goal of ISWA Elementary Dual Team State Championship is to promote both competition and team spirit for our young wrestlers.

To enter a team in this competition:

1. A club must be an ISWA member club in good standing.

2. All wrestlers on a team must be from the same ISWA member club. Club membership is limited to wrestlers who actively participate in your club practices and are not a member of another club.  Recruiting wrestlers from other member clubs will not be allowed.

3. No All-Star Teams: An All-Star team is defined as one who charges for coaching and training on an ongoing basis. 

This update replaces the previous rule which reads as follows: All wrestlers appearing on your team roster must attend a school within the same school district as the member club.

From ISWA Web site

The goal of ISWA Elementary Dual Team State Championship is to promote both competition and team spirit for our young wrestlers.

To enter a team in this competition:

1. A club must be an ISWA member club in good standing.

2. All wrestlers on a team must be from the same ISWA member club. Club membership is limited to wrestlers who actively participate in your club practices and are not a member of another club.  Recruiting wrestlers from other member clubs will not be allowed.

3. No All-Star Teams: An All-Star team is defined as one who charges for coaching and training on an ongoing basis.  

This update replaces the previous rule which reads as follows: All wrestlers appearing on your team roster must attend a school within the same school district as the member club.

This info has been noted. But again please refer to my above post. Which take issue with this info. Again, If you wrestle with an elite club to make yourself better, then you are less of a member of your community club? We can not field a team, we all go somewhere else on days off. I am heading to CIA with my son now. Does this mean that he can not wrestle for our club?

I can name a kid or kids from just about every club that has entered, that attends other clubs or practices. We all are effected by this ruling.

I really think this refers to clubs like CIA where they draw from everywhere.  I believe a team entered by such an organization would be considered a "allstar" team.  I know all of the coaches would not want to penalize anyone for bettering themselves by attending a "pay as you go" clubs.  I believe this year will be a good trail run to see how things go.  We need to hash it out and move forward because I think this is a good oppurtunity for the young kids to experience  at a young age. 

Brey is correct in his assumption. I was attempting to clarify the rules but in doing so, apparently I have caused further confusion. The ISWA is aware that many wrestlers who belong to a community club seek additional training from CIA, Red Cobra, Contenders, State Street, etc. This in no way excludes them from competing for their community club. The rules for this event are somewhat difficult to define and since this the ISWA's first attempt, it is a work in progress. However, be assured that all community clubs are allowed to enter. They just can not recruit wrestlers from a neighboring club in order to beef-up their team.

Thank you for your clarification infolady and your imput Bryan. This explaination should clear up all concerns on this thread and we all should be on the same page moving forward. It sounds as though that the boys should get some quality matches and and mat time. Our club looks forward to this event. Thank you all for helping the kids and growing the sport.

I have noticed on this site and the ISWA site that nine teams are entered in this event and the ISWA publication states the brackets will be posted by Thursday 12/30. However I am unable to see them anywhere. Has the bracketing been completed? Has the format changed to a pool format?  Updates anyone?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.