Blowing the Whistle After A Stall Call on Top

RankingsGuy

It is in the rule book that the action should be stopped upon the top man receiving a stall call. However, I noticed throughout the weekend that this was not being called consistently.  For example, in the finals at 103, Phillips had a 2-1 lead and was on top, Petrov stood up, Phillips did not return him right away, the ref called stalling on Phillips but let the action continue.. Immediately after that, Phillips had that big lift and return right into a turk and put Petrov on his back which made the score 5-1 instead of 2-1 w/ Petrov getting a fresh restart.  I thought that this could have completely changed that match, and this was not the only example of this happening this weekend.  Wrestling Mole, GrecoRef, or anybody else with an opinion on this?

Yeah there is plenty of inconsistancy with this. I think action should be either stopped on every stall call, or they can treat it like locked hands and not allow the top wrestler to score off of it. The other thing is that Stall calls a great for the sport it enforces excitement. It makes matches more enjoyable when both kids are on the attack. Stalling should have beed call about 3 times more than it was.

I know most refs verbally worn kids to work to advance, but not all. I think if the ref says "work to advance green/red" iif that wrestler does nothing in 8-15 seconds stalling needs to be called. If a wrestler runs away at any point in the match and I don't mean just bring the match back to the circle so they can work but running away to avoid giving up a take down should be called for stalling. The last implement need is if one wrestler has 4 leggit takedown attempts with out an attempt for his oppenent, the opponent should be called for stalling. 

I think the criteria for stalling should be better enforce.

I like the Push Out rule I think it would be good for high school wrestling.

Dig a little deeper into that rule book of yours.  You will see that there is a rule that you do not stop the match when warning the top wrestler when the bottom wrestler is on his feet.    You actually think this would have changed the outcome of the match.  And when you say fresh restart you mean that your man made it to his feet, and you want him to go back down to the bottom position?  That is why they actually changed the rule about 3-4 years ago because some felt like it was  actually penalizing the bottom wrestler because he gets to his feet and then has to go back to referees position and give the "top" wrestler a re-start. 

There was an situation in the 112 finals where Mishiwaka was on top with the legs in while on the mat and was warned for stalling and the match was not stopped. This happened with about 40 seconds left in the match. They should have considered it bad time and re-wrestled from that point. It would have given Lake Central a fresh start to try and get an escape and avoid the overtime. As it turned out Lake Central won the match in overtime.

tangarray is right in regards to the stall call in the finals.

The official in question has had some problems with that this year. That same official also has a bad habit of watching or checking the clock when he had an assistant referee. I saw him do it alot on Saturday.

Iwin99 from Whiteland had the same thing happen to his heavyweight at his Semi-State match.  His wrestler was behind by one point and was on top trying to turn the bottom wrestler when the official stopped the match to award  his wrestler 1 point becasue of stalling on the bottom man.  This tied the match up.  Unfortunatley, the official then stopped the match to award the point then restarted them down on the mat in referees position and the bottom wrestler escaped for the win in the final 8 seconds.  This situation was originally posted in the "ask the officals" section , all the replies to Iwin99 had been deleted.  Then after the two incidents this weekend, it seems as if there is a bit of problem in officials recognizing when to and when not to stop the match in stalling situations.  When this brain fart happens as an official, sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't effect the outcome of the match, and other times, it can cost a wrestler

It was in the 2005-06 Rule Book where the rule was changed as pointed out in above post that you do not stop the match to warn or penalize once wrestlers are on their feet.  From what I observed this  weekend, this rule was called correctly each time I saw that situation arise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.