Sorry

duck_and_run

Trent McCormick had no more to do with the decision than I did, and I was just there to keep a score book.  Don't make personal attacks when you don't know the situation.  If the regional was postponed it would also have had to be moved as Jay County hosts the girls basketball sectionals this week. Moving it would not be a decision the Jay County AD could make for another host school, so the final decision fell to the IHSAA.  They told Jay County to continue with the tournament.  The decision was made, the coaches who were there had to accept it and go on.  It wasn't that they didn't care about Winchester, Union City or Monroe Central.  I personally disagreed with the situation as did many of the coaches there, but there were extenuating circumstances.  If you want to get angry and place blame put it at the place where it ultimately must fall, the IHSAA.  Leave Jay County and Trent out of it.

This was a post to me earlier today.  I have done some fact chaecking and the VP does not have the authority to change or alter this decision.  My anger towards the situation mad me want to find anyone responsible and give them the boot.  Truth is I would have stood up and said lets not wrestle this today.  I just couldn't understand how the vice president could have not voiced his opinion in the team meeting.  This situation was not his fault though and I threw anger in the wrong direction.  So my direct apologies go to Trent McCormick.  Next time I will look at the picture in a broader view before I make careless statements. 

This truly is the worst thing I have ever heard happen to individuals in the state of Indiana.  It was a direct denial of there wrestling seasons and we need to hold someone accountable.  Some people have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars taking their kids to meets and camps, and there last memory is not being able to wrestle at sectionals because of mother nature.

Duck_and_Run,

I can understand and share your frustrations.  I'm sure Trent McCormick does, too.  I don't know him other than what I've seen at wrestling tournaments, but he seems like a class guy.  I'm sure he understands that having a visual position in the wrestling community makes him an easy target for frustrations people have about changes needed in wrestling.

I've been involved with wrestling tournaments over 30 years, maybe before you were born and I've never seen a situation like this.  I've seen kids eliminated on bad calls or by letting their own anger get the best of them.  I even remember a coach having his wrestler take an injury default after a slam when he was losing and obviously able to continue.  But at least in those situations the wrestler was allowed to participate.  I keep wondering what I would do if it were my son or my school.  Like a lot of things, I'll never know until it does affect someone I'm closer associated with.  I hope the uproar that has resulted from these decisions will prevent the same thing from happening in the future.  Keep supporting you teams and wrestlers.  If they were cheated by the decision this week they'll need your encouragement and support even more.

In four decades of watching Indiana wrestling, this is in the top 2 worst situations I have ever read about.  Want to solve this problem?  Get on the 5 pm news.  And get a story in the paper.  Bad PR is the #1 issue for the ISHAA.  They have plenty of bad PR already and they are terrified of getting more bad PR. There have been bills in the State Legislature within the last 12 months to essentially overthrow the IHSAA.  The Jay County situation could be the thing that puts such a bill over the top. I hope to high heaven that someone stops the money train greed at IHSAA.

"If the regional was postponed it would also have had to be moved as Jay County hosts the girls basketball sectionals this week. Moving it would not be a decision the Jay County AD could make for another host school, so the final decision fell to the IHSAA."

1985........The state finals were postponed due to incliment weather.....The venue was changed to New Castle because of the Girls Basketball State finals....They were able to work it out in a fair manner 25 years ago, so why not now?

I believe that in 1985 they knew by Thursday that the finals could not be held.  The IHSAA made teh alternate arrangements and announced both the rescheduling and the new venue at the same time.  In this case know one knew whether schools would be able to make it until Saturday morning, so there was no time to make other arrangements.  Also, the state finals in 1985 was run by the state, even though there is a host school.  My point was that Jay County wasn't responsible to make other arrangements, the IHSAA was.  In this case they were either unable or unwilling to do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.