Rodents take on Hoosiers

Yes this will be right after the Regional at Bloomington South Saturday 6:30 pm. The match ups are going to be interesting for both teams as I think all but one weight has a ranked wrestler. D. Schlatter will be down a weight class from 165, to get away from Mr. Howe, to wrestle at 157. This happens to be Kurt Kinsers weight. I don't know if Kurt is as polished as D.S. but it should be fun to watch.

I am really looking forward to this match-up, however watching Indiana against Ohio State showed that after Escobedo if Indiana doesn't get off to a good start, the team has a lot of trouble keeping up with the top teams.

I will also be providing live updates via Twitter for an IU research project at http://twitter.com/IUSC2. There is a little survey on there relating to twitter usage in sports, if anyone is interested please follow along. Otherwise, should be a great meet tonight. Lots of tough match-ups.

Hoosier you are right on, it turned out to be a good match up for I.U., but Minn. was never in trouble. So far the matches that i've been to , the Ohio St. team looks the best, better than Minn. I've said this before, but if not for Hawks OSU might be the best in the country. Hoosiers are competitive, thats what we have to start with in order to take on the big boys in the comming years.

INDIANA 18, MINNESOTA 23

125 lbs.- #1 Angel Escobedo (IU) wins by forfeit (Team Score: 6-0)

133 lbs.- #1 Jayson Ness (MINN) pins Geno Capezio (IU), 3:35 (6-6)

141 lbs.- #6 Mike Thorn (MINN) tech falls Nick Viterisi (IU), 24-9 (6-10, no near-fall points)

149 lbs.- #18 Mario Mason (MINN) dec. over Matt Coughlin (IU), 6-0 (6-13)

157 lbs.- #2 Dustin Schlatter (MINN) dec. over Kurt Kinser (IU), 6-0 (6-16)

165 lbs.- #12 Paul Young (IU) pins Cody Yohn (MINN), 2:46 (12-16)

174 lbs.- #8 Scott Glasser (MINN) maj. dec. over Ryan Konz (IU), 12-4 (12-20)

184 lbs.- Eric Cameron (IU) dec. over Kaleb Young (MINN), 3-1 SV (15-20)

187 lbs.- #10 Sonny Yohn (MINN) dec. over #13 Matt Powless (IU), 8-2 (15-23)

285 lbs.- #2 Nate Everhart (IU) dec. over Ben Berhow (MINN), 7-3 (18-23)

Everhart continues to impress, someone posted on the Live Blog that Berhow had beaten him 3 times last season.

Ness certainly came back with a splash...2 days 2 falls

I'm so depressed about Coughlin's performance over the past few years....I really hope that he can turn it around, although at this point I'm skeptical that he would even qualify for the show.

Solid win by big Yohn, Powless had been looking very good lately.

Kinser cements his place as a gatekeeper to the Elite 8 Club this season.

I don't see how Kinser cements his place as an "AA."  He has a good chance though at that weight if he brings that headlock with him to nationals.

What is the difference between Everhart last year to this year. Has IU brought in a coach or has Everhart beginning to fell comfortable at the weight?

Let me elaborate a bit on what I meant by calling Kinser a "gatekeeper" for AA status this season. He won't contend for the title... Fittery beat him 17-2 and Schlatter blanked him (I won't even mention JPO) but he will be formidable for the rest of the field. I guess what I meant was if someone can beat him they are in a position to AA this season.....just as I think Kinser will, albiet 5-8. If he had kept it close to Schlatter I was willing to throw out the Fittery match as an anomaly (That was the worst beatdown he had received in .....idk).

You do realize that Kinser is the LEGIT #6 ranked wrestler at that weight in the country......right?

The only think I have heard about Nate is that he really put in the time over the summer to maximize his potential....looks like it worked.  He is extremely athletic for a big man and wrestles like it.

The only new coach introduce this season other than Hernandez is Joe Dubuque...and some might argue that he could be a heavy coach as well ;)