Grades (GPA) and Wrestling vs other Sports

Oscar

There are many issues I would like some feedback on. So many I do not know were to begin. My son is really struggling right now to balance grades and competing for a spot at Conseco. I feel wrestling is harder to do this in than any other sport. The fact that it splits both semesters(covers two middle quarters) , Maintaining weight, (this may be the biggest issue) and the fact that this is one of the hardest sports for which to train competetively . This inquiry comes about because I just had a meeting with a teacher who stated that my son was a "typical"  wrestler. I believe she was  being critcal. Not supportive. I believe being acedimic ALL STATE in this sport is a much higher honor than being a State Champ but lets give the average student a break. Stories or thoughts??????

Respecfully Oscar

There are many issues I would like some feedback on. So many I do not know were to begin. My son is really struggling right now to balance grades and competing for a spot at Conseco. I feel wrestling is harder to do this in than any other sport. The fact that it splits both semesters(covers two middle quarters) , Maintaining weight, (this may be the biggest issue) and the fact that this is one of the hardest sports for which to train competetively . This inquiry comes about because I just had a meeting with a teacher who stated that my son was a "typical"  wrestler. I believe she was  being critcal. Not supportive. I believe being acedimic ALL STATE in this sport is a much higher honor than being a State Champ but lets give the average student a break. Stories or thoughts??????

Respecfully Oscar

I can't speak for all program but our team has a cumulative GPA above 3.5 (3.52 at last six weeks). Our coach gets weekly progress reports and the guys run for missing assignments and the like. We do have the occasional problem with grades but it is rare.

There are many issues I would like some feedback on. So many I do not know were to begin. My son is really struggling right now to balance grades and competing for a spot at Conseco. I feel wrestling is harder to do this in than any other sport. The fact that it splits both semesters(covers two middle quarters) , Maintaining weight, (this may be the biggest issue) and the fact that this is one of the hardest sports for which to train competetively . This inquiry comes about because I just had a meeting with a teacher who stated that my son was a "typical"  wrestler. I believe she was  being critcal. Not supportive. I believe being acedimic ALL STATE in this sport is a much higher honor than being a State Champ but lets give the average student a break. Stories or thoughts??????

Respecfully Oscar

I think acedemic all-state is much higher of an honor.  Oddly enough, I look up to alot of the kids that look up to me for this reason...  Even more impressive is some of our best wrestlers were even better in the class room!!   Taylor March, Eric Galka, Marcus Shrewsbury, Eric McGill... they are a different breed!

I think acedemic all-state is much higher of an honor.  Oddly enough, I look up to alot of the kids that look up to me for this reason...  Even more impressive is some of our best wrestlers were even better in the class room!!   Taylor March, Eric Galka, Marcus Shrewsbury, Eric McGill... they are a different breed!

Maybe they were not on indianamat.com during class time. Get back to class!

I hate to be the English teacher here, since I'm not one, but it's not acedimic or acedemic.  It is academic!

I don't think you can stereotype wrestlers when it comes to academics.  I've seen wrestlers who graduated first in their class, and others that were close to last in their class.  It takes all types.

I don't think you can stereotype wrestlers when it comes to academics.  I've seen wrestlers who graduated first in their class, and others that were close to last in their class.  It takes all types.

Ya I agree, you really have to work your butt off to make the grades and wrestle tough. I work hard to keep up with homework every night, sometimes 1-3hrs. of homework and studies. And sometimes I think to myself, "was taking 4 college  course classes my Senior year the best choice?" But then I remind myself: I'm not going to wrestle for a living so I better keep getting as high a GPA as I can! Its alot of work but belive me its possible to do both!

I would imagine that the elite wrestlers have overall a very high GPA.  There are a lot of "wrestlers" in "programs" who don't work hard.  When you hear the semistate at Evansville finals you generally hear lots of very high GPAs included in the introductions.

I agree..i feel the reson why the elite wreslters have such a high GPA is because they know what it takes to work hard in the classroom first....then that hard work pays off on the mat...you dont become a good wrestler by being lazy and not putting in the work...im sure there is the exception but i feel like thats a good reason why a lot of good wrestlers have good grades.

I love reading post but don't often post.  This one on the other hand I feel pretty passionate about.

I know that everyone has stereotypes and I actually encountered some of these while at IU with some teachers having a "chip" against athletes in general.  But I know from my experience that the Indiana Wrestling team had some of the hardest workers on and off the mat I knew.  Every semester we would have the most athletes make Alpha Beta(over 3.0) of the mens sports.

We had an invididual named Ty Mathews that was a 2 or 3 time NCAA qualifier, was married, had 2 kids, cut a good amount of weight weekly, was a Biology major, and carried a 4.0 average with all of that going on in his life.

I have also seen athletes on the other side of the spectrum but for the most part believe wrestlers are some of the hardest works in life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.