Former Indiana Wrestler Dies in Afhganistan

navy80

TERRE HAUTE ?  A Terre Haute serviceman was among several U.S. military service personnel killed Tuesday in Afghanistan.

U.S. Army Sgt. Dale Russel Griffin, a 1999 Terre Haute South Vigo High School graduate, died after the vehicle in which he was traveling with several other soldiers was struck by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan.

Griffin, who was a part of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, joined the Army immediately after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, according to his mother, Dona Griffin, who was interviewed by the Tribune-Star earlier this month. At the time of that interview, Dona Griffin and husband Gene were leading volunteers at the Terre Haute Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints making about 40 blankets for U.S. servicemen and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

While a senior at Terre Haute South, Dale Griffin was the state runner-up in wrestling in the 189-pound weight class. The following year, he won his weight class to help lead the Virginia Military Institute to a fourth-place finish in the All-Academy Wrestling Championship in 2000 at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He was named that tournament?s Most Outstanding Wrestler.

News reports from Afghanistan state that roadside bombs ? also known as improvised explosive devices or IEDs ? claimed the lives of eight American soldiers in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday.

Seven military service members and an Afghan civilian were killed in one attack when an IED struck the vehicle in which they were riding while on patrol. An eighth soldier was killed in a separate attack, also by a roadside bomb blast.

According to an unnamed U.S. defense official quoted by the Associated Press, at least one of Tuesday?s blasts was followed by an intense exchange of gunfire with insurgents. A total of 55 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan this month.

Funeral arrangements for Dale Griffin are pending.

U.S. Army Sgt. Dale Russel Griffin Thank you for serving our country. Our prayers go out to the family's.

Also, would like to thank Dona Griffin and husband Gene for leading volunteers to make blankets for the soldiers.

As a former member of the US NAVY and one who serverd in Somalia, Gulf and counter drug operations  in So. America i want to say thank you from the bottom of my heat .  I recently read a letter from a former friend that to me says it all "Some have given some, some gave it all don't mourn their past rejoice in their being with God but pray there is still more like these young men and women who are willing to keep us free.  For if it is not for them we will all be gone.  THANK YOU YOUNG MAN YOU ARE WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEEDS A HERO!  My prayers and heart felt condolences to you and your entire family.  God Bless you and the troops

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.