Future tournaments

Jacob

Just a suggestion here but there are some clubs and schools who put on very well organized and well ran tournaments. There are some that there has been a lot of effort put in but the organization is not what it should be and adds up to a chaotic and a very unsatisfying experience. The clubs and schools that put on the less desireable tournaments would get with the schools that put on very well ran tournaments. The experience would be much better for both the organizers and the parents and participants.

I am listing a few but I am sure that there are many more that put on exceptional tournaments. The ones that come to mind are: starting with the most recent.

Lawrence Central, LC ran an exceptional tournament this past week end.

Franklin

Beech Grove

New Palestine. Last year must have learned from past mistakes because theirs was vwery well ran and organized.

Brandy Cash is very helpfull and knowledgeable in organizing and helping with these tournaments.  Not to mention, usually willing to help out.

I thank everyone who attempts to put a tourney on. I am sure it is a huge headache. One that I personally would not want to undertake. Everyone knows which tournaments run smooth and which ones have not ran so smooth in the past.

If everyone would get together when organizing, they would all know what works and what does not.

Just a suggestion.

TBD

You have known me for how many years and you still don't spell my name right?  Thank you for the recognition, but it wasn't me.  I just helped Kelly Jones with that New Pal tourney and as for the Elementary Qualifier, when I decided to do a tournament I made sure I called in the best.  Big cudos to Chris Lynch, Pat Van Horn, the Franklin staff and Renee Schoettle.

Of course, outside of our LC (Red Cobra) tournaments......Franklin gets a HUGE bravo on there tournaments last year!

Although I am still waiting on my brackets Mr. VanHorn!!!...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, as great a sport that wrestling is, the youth tournaments in this state can use some restructuring. Why don't more tournaments use a split session (i.e., young kids in the moring, older kids in the afternoon)? The two worst things about tournaments are the long waits between matches and the amount of people in the gyms, especially in the morning hours. I have a young wrestler who last year often wrestled 3-5 mathces from 9-6pm. That is a long time to be in a gym for so few matches. Throw in the fact that the other family members, including young children, had to hang out for that long and it makes for a less than enjoyable experience. In fact, I know of at least 5 families that gave up wrestling because of the tournament experience. Making the tournaments more efficient might be a nice way to defeat attrition.

What makes a tournament run smooth as ?ICE??

Is it having Faxed weigh-ins and live weigh-ins on Saturday (No-walk-in registration on Sunday)?

Is it Mat side pairing? (Bout Sheets are the biggest pain)

Is it Table Help?

Would having the Awards given out at the table help?

If over 500 kids, split into two gyms help? Last year Franklin had 760 kids and a ton of parents and no room to set. We got out of there around 6:30 and there were still kids wrestling. For the amount of wrestlers that showed up Franklin still ran a great tournament.

For me I'd say fax weigh-ins  with no live weigh-ins at all. Matside pairing is also a must,along with table help. If you don't have enough help you aren't going anywhere. Awards at the table also help but you still have to be patient and wait for the weight class to be finished. But thats just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents worth about faxed weigh ins. Too many people cheat on weight.  Have free challenges. If it is found that the kid is oveweight by more than two pounds. They get DQ`ed for all matches. I just threw in the two pound number. I don`t know what it should be. Kids eat after they weigh. You do have too many kids wrestling a weight that there is no way in hell they would ever make if they got on a scale. This is proven when you see them at state.

TBD

What I was told in the past is you can challenge a weight but it cost cash money to do it. I may have been told wrong but that is what I was told all the same. Can anyone clarify this for us?

TBD

You can file a protest in Freestyle and Greco and you do have to pay a protest fee. In Folkstyle, all corrections of errors must be settled with the official/head official at mat side using the guidelines per NFHS Rules.  No judgment issue will be reviewed.

I have not heard or read anywhere that you can challenge a weight at matside. At local tournaments, the only way to start and finish at a reasonable time is to have faxed weigh-ins. Since this requires the honor system, I'm certain that some will cheat.  Call me old fashioned, but what have you really gained by cheating? A medal at a local tournament? The reality is that when you compete at the state or national level, you have to make weight.

I am pleased that the ISWA has done away with regional weigh-ins, Now everyone will be required to weigh-in on the same scales either the night before or the morning of the tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.