Will Mishawaka be able to compete with Penn?

JimtownFather

If Harper's team beats Mishawaka, doesn't Mishawaka still get the win?  Seriously though, who's going to be the first to put money on this?

This should be a whole new thread!  Which HS program has produced the most coaches?  Seltzer at Memorial, Harper at Penn,... I can't name them all but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mishawaka grad that is a coach around this part of the state.

" By the way, why hasn't anyone mentioned that it should be called Penn vs. the Michiana All-Stars"  hahahaha....I LOVE IT

Signal, you'll notice that you have 9 cool pts now... There's more where that came from if you can tell me where I can get my hands on a dog like that!  You can even help me choose a name, Butkiss or Bocephus!?

If Harper's team beats Mishawaka, doesn't Mishawaka still get the win?  Seriously though, who's going to be the first to put money on this?

NO , When Mishawaka shut out Penn 2 years ago , using 4 former Penn wrestlers , Penn couldn't claim victory . It will be nice when the day comes that the Cavemen have to rely on only their homegrown wrestlers .

They were shut out, and we're debating 4 wrestlers?

WOW...times sure have changed since I wrestled in the early 90's.  No offense, but Penn wasn't exactly a wrestling powerhouse.  That's great for wrestling though.

Your kidding right ? Penn made it to Team State in 96,97 and 98 .  I think Penn owned Mishawaka for much of the 90's . Penn is in most years a top 5-10 team . The last couple years have been a struggle . The cupboard was bare when Harper took over , due in large part to tranfers , and kids not sticking with the program . That all is changing rapidly , just look at the size of the Penn wrestling club .

LOL...I don't know how the educational program works there, but at Elkhart Memorial "the early 90's" doesn't refer to 96, 97 or 98.  We would refer to that as the late 90's. 

" By the way, why hasn't anyone mentioned that it should be called Penn vs. the Michiana All-Stars"  hahahaha....I LOVE IT

Signal, you'll notice that you have 9 cool pts now... There's more where that came from if you can tell me where I can get my hands on a dog like that!  You can even help me choose a name, Butkiss or Bocephus!?

Its my brothers and he got it from a shelter,  I gave you One but its already gone.

Its my brothers and he got it from a shelter,  I gave you One but its already gone.

I am laughing my ars off!  AWood pts!  I love it!!!!!  Thanks for the effort

Do people forget that even after an athlete moves from one school to another they don't just automatically win because of the school they are at?...You still have to put in your time in the room and at workouts. doesn't matter what sport what school the kids still put their time in and so do the coaches. I don't care who wins im just tired of hearing people complain. There is nothing you can do about it so just suck it up. Both teams will be good this year Harper is doing a great job at Penn because he is a really good coach and gets people excited about the program. The same goes for Snyder.

I hate the phrase, but it has never been more appropriate to say, "It's all good!"   ;D

To say that adjoining communities, rival HS's, peer coaches, etc. are actually both thriving and succeeding to the level that they are competitive with each other is the exception, not the rule.  Every good wrestling coach in the US would love to have someone right next door that forced them to raise the level of their own program to remain on top.  Steel hardens steel and the last I had heard, the objects in the area just keep getting sharper!

Coach Harper is a great coach and teacher and will build a very tough and competitve program at Penn. Our family has known Harper since is days at BC and we have not found a coach that even comes close. Which is why from time to time we make the two hour drive to Penn to give or son a refresher course on how to be a winner on and off the mat.  Harper will not only build a great wrestling program he will also help set standards and goals that will help his wrestlers on and off the mat.

Coach Harper is a great coach and teacher and will build a very tough and competitve program at Penn. Our family has known Harper since is days at BC and we have not found a coach that even comes close. Which is why from time to time we make the two hour drive to Penn to give or son a refresher course on how to be a winner on and off the mat.  Harper will not only build a great wrestling program he will also help set standards and goals that will help his wrestlers on and off the mat.

Boiler, I can't agree with you more about Harper's character!  Meanwhile, you opened the door and I wanna mention a few others in our area.  For the record, I have no reason to smooze any coaches these days.  I only say this b/c I know these guys a little better than a just as a fan.  There is a reason that Snyder has an 'army' of ankle biters running around each tournament too.  Snyder has a slightly different style but he has built his base and he deserves the respect any top notch team gets.  Seltzer is another one who puts his heart and sole into each team every year.  The stress these guys put themselves under to get the best out of a bunch of pimple faced high school kids is incredible.  Many of us know what a coach CAN do for a kid's life.  Many of us had coaches like that.  I hope that this doesn't become a debate about which coach has more character.  If that is the case we have a long list of coaches fit the mold of a Harper/Snyder, that you may never see lead a team onto the floor at Center Grove.  But, if you ever get a chance to introduce yourself to Bill Flat at SB Riley, Seth Molnar at Concord, Mark Kernn at Jimtown, the Northridge farmers, the tatooed bunch at Fairfield, or the guys who coach from inside the circle at Tippy Valley high school!  These guys put their heart and soul into making kids successful.  Some of them have great teams that would be competitive at team state if they had a slightly different path (Jimtown, Riley, Northridge).  If you spend just a little time watching how these guys conduct themselves in their roles after all the post match handshakes you will see that lack of character and leadership are not an issue in many of the northern programs.  Boiler, again I am just taking the opening you gave me to highlight that we are very fortunate to have Harper and many others who embody the same character you so admire in their coaching roles.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.