Wrestling ind vs team

manvswild1

The Individual State Competition has representation from 140 + communities.

I agree with most of what you've written except for this part. Individual State has representation from 140+ teams, but I wouldn't exactly call them all communities per se. I'm sure there are a ton of teams that send only 1 or 2 wrestlers to Individual State. So I'd reckon only family members and friends close to the wrestlers are who'll most likely show up from that "community." In contrast, every wrestler from the teams advancing to Team Regionals and State are involved.

What I'm trying to get at is the team series is more community driven I think, while Individual State is more for each particular wrestler and college recruiting.

I feel that if we really want to grow the sport (in Indiana and the country), we need to do it through the team aspect. Wrestlers like the Escobedos', Tsirtsis', Howes', Harpers', Maurers' come and go. But what stays are the teams like Mater Dei, Mishawaka, Lawrence North.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wcs145

I agree with your position. I do not want to do away with the team development concept. I just want to do away with uncontrolled discretion, cheating and lack of individual consideration when developing a team. Let's be honest all systems are corruptable and this one is no different. What I really want is balance and a return to good ethics. An ethics that does not take away from the individuals hard work and effort, to satisfy a coaches need to always be on top in team competition. As a coach I think you can see the potential for Team Building to be ego driven. Everyone wants to be a winner. It is human nature. This human nature is the same thing that makes people corruptable. I have had a good hard inside look at Team Building and some of it's downsides. How do we do it better? I do not really no yet. I am trying to figure it out. One thing I do know, I  just keep listening to the little angel on the right shoulder telling me to do the right thing. That little devil on my left shoulder, I just keep flicking him off.

Vince Lombardi once said "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing!" ,but he did it through hard work and Inspiration.He endeared  himself to his Teams by maintaining a very high adherence to morality and ethics. They won for him because they loved him. Why? Because he truelly cared about them as individuals. Then, they came together as a Team. 

Respectfully Oscar

Old discussions just never die ,like this one. I would like to thank Y2 for maintaining the democratic way and not sensoring guys because their opinions differ.

In all honesty though, will there ever be a system where everyone is moral and doesn't try to get an advantage over another? Not that I condone it, but does anyone think it will ever not be a problem or will it always be something we have to deal with?

It'll always be a problem, which is unfortunate, because everybody is driven by different motives. From the school I'm from, I've heard of cases in which the football team would try to gobble up athletes from our wrestling team (maybe others from other sports too). They'd do this with the promise of varsity time or whatever. So our guys would leave wrestling to play football full-time, because it was just too enticing of a proposition to pass up. What happens when it comes time for football games, our guys would be sitting on the bench. Real classy huh?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.