Congrats Reece and Andrew

BY BRIAN WADDLE

Times Correspondent | Sunday, March 22, 2009 | (No comments posted.)

Howe incredible it was just getting there. Quite impressive, in fact, for a true freshman.

Hanover Central product Andrew Howe, representing the University of Wisconsin, fell just short of a national championship, losing a tough 3-2 match to Edinboro senior Jarrod King in the NCAA championship at 165 pounds on Saturday night at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

The championships aired live on ESPN.

"I'm not mad at the way I wrestled, I'm disappointed because I feel I'm better than that kid," Howe said. "I know it's already got me hungry (for next season). I want that national title."

Howe (30-5), the No. 2 seed who was coming off a Big Ten Championship, had his string of 19 consecutive wins snapped. He hadn't lost since December.

Howe was the aggressor the entire way. He chased King most of the match and even ESPN announcers questioned why no stalling calls were issued.

"I felt like I was pushing the action, but that one little mistake was the match," said Howe, referring to the third period takedown that gave King a 3-1 lead with 1:29 left.

It wasn't an easy road for Howe, who beat Iowa's Ryan Morningstar 2-1 in a tiebreaker in the semifinals. It was Howe's third win over Morningstar, with each win coming in the tiebreaker. The wrestlers banged heads in the match and Howe ended up getting stitches on his forehead and wore a bandage in the championship.

His parents Mike and Debbie attended every one of his matches this past season. Also making the trek to St. Louis were brothers Jon and Eric, and others like Hanover assistant coach John Willems.

"It was special when he won (high school nationals) in Fargo and it was real special when he won the Big Ten championship," said Howe's father, Mike, who wrestled at Miami (Ohio). "This definitely would have been the icing on the cake."

congrats. making the finals in such a huge meet is great. i am sure they both were dissapointed but i hope after a while they rrealize it was a great tourney for them. that is not to say they can't use this for added incentive. great job reese and andrew. so many people are proud of you. you are great examples for our young wrestlers.