Utilizing Legs

Boot

I've always been a big proponent of using legs and making use of a huge source of leverage. Where I used to help coach I worked legs with kids a lot and got some great riders and tilters.  That's something I didn't see a lot of this year. I don't see any of the guys with the leverage using it, the way Marcus Schontube did.

Anyone know of any coaches and camps focusing on legs a lot or are they mostly being ignored?

My best wrestler tried it a little bit this year, was terrible at it, and instead of trying to get better at it, just stopped completely (which is very unlike him).

I think if a kid doesn't get it the first time, they are going to go back to moves that are more "solid."  That being said, I love legs and love teaching legs.

They need to get good at it on a variety of sized kids in practice first, if they try it a couple times in practice and then hit it in a match it's a rare thing it would actually work. I hate when kids try a move once or twice, then get frustrated when it doesn't work in match situations. Did you guys work legs much at Penn, if I remember right there was a decent kid around the 2001-2002 area?

I teach them at Howe.  Some like them, some don't.  It's up to the individual and the year. Last year, our best guy ran them exclusively and others began to do the same just from having to defend them in practice so much.

i LOVE riding legs.

I throw them in every time i get the chance.

I believe you have to have great balance to be a successful leg rider.  Those that don't have good balance usuallyend up falling to a hip and getting reversed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.