I am being a naive, extremely biased fan, or does Michigan have a great shot at having 3 national champions?

Kellen Russell- 141... 1 seed

Steven Luke- 174... untouchable 1 seed

Tyrel Todd- 197... 4 seed (at 21-1 which is interesting in and of itself)

Three very tough Big Ten champions... just wondering how you all think they stack up... or at least those of you that watch more than just Reece, Angel, Alex, and Howe.  ;)

I think Luke has a great shot; he's certainly a strong favorite. Russell is a machine, but he folded pretty hard last year at the NCAAs.  141 is wide open and Russell has every physical tool you could ask for in a wrestler, but there's still a worry nagging in the back of my mind that he could have an off match or two. Todd is a possibility as well, but he hasn't wrestled an inordinately difficult schedule this year.  He's a pinner, but he's not likely to pin the elite wrestlers at 197, plus losing to Simez shows that he has occasional lapses. I expect a high finish for Todd, but I'll be surprised if he gets over the hump enough to win it all.

Russell did OK last year for a true freshman.  I wish he would have red shirted and I hope Grajales red shirts, even though he won't if he goes 133.

Luke... mark it in pen... National Champion!

Todd relies to much on his mixed matial stuff sometimes.  I think he could have rose to the top at the national level throughout his career if he'd just go wrestle and stop clubbing people.  :P

With three outstanding wrestlers, it's a shame that they didn't have a better dual season.  Obviously, every team except Michigan State in the Big Ten is stacked, but still...

Hopefully they learn from the mistake with Russell, Grajales could be a decent starter next year, but with a redshirt they could get 4 years of excellence from him. Patience pays off sometimes, but other times you get an Andrew Howe who surprises everyone.

I would say everyone but Michigan State and Purdue is stacked, Purdue needs some improved coaching to take the great athletes and wrestlers they have to the next level. They need more variety and tailoring to the strengths of the kids.

I agree, Purdue has a better lineup by far, but Michigan State starts with less and tries to coach them up, Purdue starts with better kids but doesn't improve them as much. Some of the current and former Purdue wrestlers I've known were just there for the academics and getting paid to wrestle was an incentive, so maybe it's that mindset as well.

Wow.  If that's the case (mindset), then that's a shame.  Especially with what they have coming in for next year.

And I hope it's not an administration thing either... like if Reyes saw it coming that they were going to be basketball-heavy again. 

Nothing against their basketball team though... Painter is a Delta Boy!!!!

This is going off of 3-4 of the guys I met when I lived over there, so it may have changed. I would rather see an academic focus for the school choice, sports can only get you so far in life. The smartest guys with some good coaching tend to make really good wrestlers.