A question involving team scoring

NickS

Why are duals and tournaments scored differently?  I kind of have an issue with this because there's more value for bonus points in tournaments compared to duals.

Examples...

Major Decisions

Duals - 1 bonus point - 1 of 4 total points (25%)

Tournaments - 1 bonus point - 1 of 3 total points (33.3%)

Technical Falls

Duals - 2 bonus points - 2 of 5 total points (40%)

Tournaments - 1.5 bonus points - 1.5 of 3.5 points (42.86%)

I'm just using scoring of the championship rounds of tournament scoring.  For the consolation rounds, bonus points have even more significant value.  For some reason, it kind of rubs me the wrong way.  It doesn't matter to me which scoring system is used, just pick one.

The scoring system used at tournaments is set up to account somewhat for the byes that may be on the bracket.

For example: At the Southridge sectional this year the 152lb champion had a first round bye, won by pin in the 2nd round, won bye pin in the 3rd round, and won by decision in the championship. He scored 26 team points. The 2nd place wrestler in this weight had a first round forfeit, won by forfeit in the 2nd round, won by tech. fall in the 3rd round and lost in the championship match. He scored 23.5 team points.

If you scored the match points the same as you would in a dual match the champion would have scored 34 team points and the 2nd place wrestler would have scored 35 team points.

Actually, a major decision in the championship match is only worth 1 point out of 5 total (20%), not three.  There's no advancement points in the championship, but the winner scores 4 placement points for the difference between first and second.  A tech fall would be worth 1.5 out of 5.5 (28%), and a fall 2 out 6 (33% compared to 50% in a dual), so the bonus points in that match are worse less than in a dual.  The consolation match would be differentbecause there are fewer placement points gained from 4th to 3rd.

There are a few tournaments around (one at Elkhart Memorial I believe) that score an individual tournament like duals.  They eliminate advancement, bonus, and placement points and just award 3-6 points for every win like in a dual.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.