Purdue - Close Quarters

MADISON, Wis. - The No. 25 Purdue wrestling team suffered a narrow 19-15 loss at No. 18 Wisconsin on Sunday, dropping to 11-6-1 overall and 0-5-1 in Big Ten Dual action. The Boilermakers split matches with the Badgers, winning five bouts apiece, but Wisconsin tallied bonus points in a pair of matches to earn the win.

Sunday's Purdue victories came from juniors Nick Corpe and Nick Bertucci, sophomore A.J. Kissel and freshmen Matt Fields and Carson Beebe.

Fields secured the Boilermakers' first conference win of the year at 125 pounds and his first career Big Ten victory, knocking off Wisconsin junior Drew Hammen by decision. Fields took his opponent down early and built a huge chunk of riding time through the remainder of the first frame. The second frame was battled on the mat as Fields started down and the pair traded reversals to make it 4-2 at the end of two, and Fields sealed the match with a two-point nearfall before giving up a reversal to close out the match. His 4:16 of riding time tacked on one more tally to push the final spread to three, 7-4.

Beebe lifted the Boilermakers' advantage to 6-0, defeating freshman Tom Kelliher at 133 pounds. Beebe evened his conference mark at 3-3 with the win, using a takedown, an escape and 1:08 of riding time for the 4-2 victory.

The Badgers rallied at their strength as top-ranked 141-pound senior Zach Tanelli earned an 8-4 decision over Purdue sophomore Juan Archuleta and fifth-ranked 149 pound junior Kyle Ruschell pinned eighth-ranked Boilermaker senior Jake Patacsil in 1:54 at the end of a crazy scramble.

Bertucci righted the ship for the Old Gold and Black, blanking Wisconsin freshman Ben Jordan, 6-0. Bertucci earned takedowns in the first and second period, scrambling after solid low shots to finish for two. The win is Bertucci's first Big Ten dual victory in as many chances, improving to 10-5 on the year.

Wisconsin took a 9-6 edge after the intermission as eighth-ranked freshman posted a 9-3 decision over No. 16 Purdue sophomore Luke Manuel at 165 pounds, but Corpe evened the count for the Boilermakers at 174 pounds with a 5-1 win over freshman Travis Rutt. Corpe took Rutt to his back in the waning seconds of the second frame, racking up four points en route to the win. Kissel regained the Purdue advantage at 184 pounds, edging out a 1-0 win over Wisconsin sophomore Eric Bugenhagen and making it 15-12, but this was the end of the Purdue run.

Third-ranked Badger senior Dallas Herbst eked out a narrow 2-0 win over 13th-ranked Purdue sophomore Logan Brown at 197 pounds, knotting the count at 15-15, and No. 9 senior Kyle Massey sealed the Wisconsin win at heavyweight with a 10-2 major decision over Purdue junior Chris Kasten.

The Boilermakers close out their Big Ten Dual slate this weekend, facing Michigan State University on Thursday at Northside Gymnasium in Elkhart, Ind., and hosting No. 17 University of Michigan on Saturday evening in Holloway Gymnasium.

This was taken from Purdue's official wrestling website. 

whoever writes that c@#* for Purdue gezzz  atleast get the proper terminology correct ("second frame"???)  and WHO was the 165# freshman?  its always been that way there  tooo bad cuz i pull for them and Hinkle and crew are great people.... off topic but BTW, WHY does the big ten keep pulling this scheduling c@#*  hhhhmmmm great idea  a home dual the same day as State,, not on sunday, that would make toooo much sense....

I thought the same thing oldfat119 I almost didn't post it, however, there was some good info in the blurb.

I reviewed and did not post the IU review of their last match because it was VERY pathetic.

Check it out at IU's wrestling website.

Purdue's looks likes at top ten bestseller in comparison.  How sad is that.

And when I say that..............I mean the coverage................