5 way @ Mt Vernon on Sat

Grap41

This has nothing to do with how Mt. Vernon coaches decided to handle Castle's dual. Seniors should be awarded for the time put in for their program. As a fan of the sport, I do love MV's coach's enthusiasm and it reflects to his team ;D It always has amazed many over the last few years how there are forfeits and shuffling to avoid opponents to try to better one's seeds near tourney time. I also do not understand why a coach would not let a wrestler go out to wrestle a superior opponent to try to gain valuable experience on the mat. I know some will disagree with me but I stand with my belief that a wrestler's gains far out weigh his losses by not going to the mat. I have never understood how many teams forfeit when they have plenty of wrestlers weighed in for that weight class. Someone must need mat time. A lot of reserves would love to gain varsity experience even it was being teched or pinned. Sometime in their career, every wrestler will always come across an opponent with superior skills. Maybe they will remember their first time on the mat with a superior opponent. However I do understand letting injuries heal before tourney time. I believe that injuries were somewhat of the case yesterday. If a coach feels like their wrestler can not go out and wrestle a opponent because he may possibly be beaten this week, and then have to wrestle him in a week or two again. I think that is BS. Prepare your wrestler for each match and let him possibly learn from from the experience. This has continually gotten worse in our area.

I totally agree that a wrestler will learn more by going out and wrestling and getting beat than by sitting out the match to try and better his seeding for the sectionals.  In the case of MV yesterday, injuries did play a part in a few kids not going out to wrestle, but they did also dodge some opponents that I feel they should have wrestled.  They may have been beat but they could learn a few things about the other kid to take back to the practice room to work on.  By allowing the opponent to take a forfeit or wrestling a less skilled wrestler you learn nothing for yourself.  It may not always work out but I think that teams should have to set a lineup before each match and then that is what they go with.  I watched a kid stand near the scorers table waiting to see who the other team sent out before the coaches decided who they were going to send out to wrestle him. 

As for the MV coach you speak of showing enthusiasm, I should probably note that is the head coach of the junior high team and an assistant for the high school.  The head coach for the high school sits in his chair and rarely gets up.

I would also like to extend a Congratulations to the MV HWT Alex White for setting the all-time school record for wins in a career.

First of all, as you can see this is my first and only post on this board. I am the head coach of Mount Vernon. I don't run my program for my myself, my wrestlers parents, my wrestlers friends, my opponents fans, or for anyone other than my wrestlers. How I run my program will always be questioned as well as how anyone coaches their program. For some reason everyone thinks it is their concern. I also do not run my program for message boards or a rankings GURU. My kids do not wrestle for rankings or for recognition or at least I hope they do not. They wrestle for the love of the sport and competition. As for Saturday, we match up well with Reitz when we are healthy, on weight, and eligible. We have not been all three one time this year. Reitz knew Konrath(125) may or may not wrestle since we were both at the same event last weekend and he did not wrestle there. They also knew Ruggeri(215) may not wrestle since we injury defaulted to them at the same event. With conference and sectionals being much more important than any dual victory they did not wrestle at all this weekend nor did they accept a forfeit.

We do not dodge for seeds as one alluded to in an earlier post. Dodging for seeds is laughable to me because it means you are conceding the fact you can't be a champion. Can you dodge your way to state? Heck you can't even dodge your way to regionals in our sectional. We wrestled our best line-up all day against sectional opponents. The only thing seeding can do is keep you from getting second if you are second best and on the same side of the bracket with the best. But I have been in a enough seed meetings to know that the best kid isn't always seeded 1st due to a variety of reasons including some coaches dodging. So how you can figure seeds today without knowing the outcomes at SIAC is beyond me. My take dodging is only good in dodge ball.

As this is our last event of the regular season and we are at home I promised all of my kids I would do my best to get them all a match as long as it would not affect the out come of the dual. I also had 11 seniors that I want to make sure all saw the mat. There were only 2 opportunities Castle and Tell City. After we came up short(well short but did make it interesting) against Reitz it was clear that we matched up even worse with Castle. I also had to keep in mind that I still wanted my seniors to end with a win against Tell City. Therefore Castle got to see quite a few back-ups. We had 6 of our13 varsity guys in the line-up. With 2 out hurt and 1 that went home early the most varsity kids I could have put out on the mat with Castle was 10.we started the day with 2 19 pounders and no 125. After round one we were down to just one 19 pounder that moved back and forth from 119 and 125 depending on match-ups.  So I gave four JV kids a match.  I managed to get all wrestlers a match except twoon the day. I felt worse about not getting thema match then any of the losses on the day.

As for our pogram and what I think of it, I would not trade my guys for anyone else's. I go to work each day looking forward to the time I get to spend with these fine young men. I have great parents, great coaches at all levels, great administrative support, and mostly great fans(flighdecker excluded as he apparently isn't a fan of mine:P). Running a program is always easier from the stands too bad that isn't where it is ran from.

Coachgilpin

I for one was very impressed with your team and the effort they gave all day!  What I was VERY pleased about was the obvious support the kids gave one another regardless of the out come of the individual matches.  It was refreshing to see in this day and age of indifference.

Mt Vernon has always had a very tough and classy program.  That has not changed at all from where I stand. 

One more note...Don't let the little people bug you...You have some truly talented kids who are benefitting from your coaching.  If people don't understand that, well screw them.

Keep up the great work!

First of all, as you can see this is my first and only post on this board. I am the head coach of Mount Vernon. I don't run my program for my myself, my wrestlers parents, my wrestlers friends, my opponents fans, or for anyone other than my wrestlers. How I run my program will always be questioned as well as how anyone coaches their program. For some reason everyone thinks it is their concern. I also do not run my program for message boards or a rankings GURU. My kids do not wrestle for rankings or for recognition or at least I hope they do not. They wrestle for the love of the sport and competition. As for Saturday, we match up well with Reitz when we are healthy, on weight, and eligible. We have not been all three one time this year. Reitz knew Konrath(125) may or may not wrestle since we were both at the same event last weekend and he did not wrestle there. They also knew Ruggeri(215) may not wrestle since we injury defaulted to them at the same event. With conference and sectionals being much more important than any dual victory they did not wrestle at all this weekend nor did they accept a forfeit.

We do not dodge for seeds as one alluded to in an earlier post. Dodging for seeds is laughable to me because it means you are conceding the fact you can't be a champion. Can you dodge your way to state? Heck you can't even dodge your way to regionals in our sectional. We wrestled our best line-up all day against sectional opponents. The only thing seeding can do is keep you from getting second if you are second best and on the same side of the bracket with the best. But I have been in a enough seed meetings to know that the best kid isn't always seeded 1st due to a variety of reasons including some coaches dodging. So how you can figure seeds today without knowing the outcomes at SIAC is beyond me. My take dodging is only good in dodge ball.

As this is our last event of the regular season and we are at home I promised all of my kids I would do my best to get them all a match as long as it would not affect the out come of the dual. I also had 11 seniors that I want to make sure all saw the mat. There were only 2 opportunities Castle and Tell City. After we came up short(well short but did make it interesting) against Reitz it was clear that we matched up even worse with Castle. I also had to keep in mind that I still wanted my seniors to end with a win against Tell City. Therefore Castle got to see quite a few back-ups. We had 6 of our13 varsity guys in the line-up. With 2 out hurt and 1 that went home early the most varsity kids I could have put out on the mat with Castle was 10.we started the day with 2 19 pounders and no 125. After round one we were down to just one 19 pounder that moved back and forth from 119 and 125 depending on match-ups.  So I gave four JV kids a match.  I managed to get all wrestlers a match except twoon the day. I felt worse about not getting thema match then any of the losses on the day.

As for our pogram and what I think of it, I would not trade my guys for anyone else's. I go to work each day looking forward to the time I get to spend with these fine young men. I have great parents, great coaches at all levels, great administrative support, and mostly great fans(flighdecker excluded as he apparently isn't a fan of mine:P). Running a program is always easier from the stands too bad that isn't where it is ran from.

coachgilpin,

just for the record, i am a fan of yours.  i just am not a "fan" of some of the coaching techniques during meets.  Like you said, running a program is always easier from the stands and that is where i sit.  i personally just like to see more involvement from the coach during the meet.  might not mean a lot to you but it might to the kids and the parents of the kids wrestling.  being a head coach is a very political job, like it or not.  i think what you have done with the MV wrestling program in the past two years is remarkable.  i in no way think that you are a bad coach, because to take a program from where it was to where it is now is remarkable.  you obviously know what you are doing, or else you wouldn't have led MV to where they are now.  Best record in school history.  And I know you are trying to get more powerhouse programs on the schedule.  good luck to you and the program in the future.  like i said, i am a MV fan and always will be.  i guess i was just using some constructive criticism.  this probably wasn't the best place for it.  good luck at big 8 and i hope the wildcats can bring a conference title home. 

This has nothing to do with how Mt. Vernon coaches decided to handle Castle's dual. Seniors should be awarded for the time put in for their program. As a fan of the sport, I do love MV's coach's enthusiasm and it reflects to his team ;D It always has amazed many over the last few years how there are forfeits and shuffling to avoid opponents to try to better one's seeds near tourney time. I also do not understand why a coach would not let a wrestler go out to wrestle a superior opponent to try to gain valuable experience on the mat. I know some will disagree with me but I stand with my belief that a wrestler's gains far out weigh his losses by not going to the mat. I have never understood how many teams forfeit when they have plenty of wrestlers weighed in for that weight class. Someone must need mat time. A lot of reserves would love to gain varsity experience even it was being teched or pinned. Sometime in their career, every wrestler will always come across an opponent with superior skills. Maybe they will remember their first time on the mat with a superior opponent. However I do understand letting injuries heal before tourney time. I believe that injuries were somewhat of the case yesterday. If a coach feels like their wrestler can not go out and wrestle a opponent because he may possibly be beaten this week, and then have to wrestle him in a week or two again. I think that is BS. Prepare your wrestler for each match and let him possibly learn from from the experience. This has continually gotten worse in our area.

Careful Boilergrappler.  I made some comments like this last year and got blasted by everyone.

coachgilpin,

just for the record, i am a fan of yours.  i just am not a "fan" of some of the coaching techniques during meets.  Like you said, running a program is always easier from the stands and that is where i sit.  i personally just like to see more involvement from the coach during the meet.  might not mean a lot to you but it might to the kids and the parents of the kids wrestling.  being a head coach is a very political job, like it or not.  i think what you have done with the MV wrestling program in the past two years is remarkable.  i in no way think that you are a bad coach, because to take a program from where it was to where it is now is remarkable.  you obviously know what you are doing, or else you wouldn't have led MV to where they are now.  Best record in school history.  And I know you are trying to get more powerhouse programs on the schedule.  good luck to you and the program in the future.  like i said, i am a MV fan and always will be.  i guess i was just using some constructive criticism.  this probably wasn't the best place for it.  good luck at big 8 and i hope the wildcats can bring a conference title home. 

If Konrath was hurt I don't have a problem with it.  I just think everyone got excited when we saw him walking to the mat with his head gear on.  Not sure what changed at the last minute?  

As stated (maybe not clearly ) I had no problems with how MV handled Saturday. I was trying to say ( sorry I didn't make it real clear) that on a general note teams do dodge wrestlers sometimes. It is upsetting to see forfeits when their are multiple guys weighed in for that weight. I should have not included the comment when so many people thought that is what had happened on Saturday. I did know the 125 was hurt and had not wrestled. I stand by what I said about gaining experience to young wrestlers or not very experienced wrestlers. I really wasn't questioning MV. It was a statement in general about this area. But now you have gotten me curious. I'm sure some would be interested and many others who expressed agreement with the forfeit thing. The only thing confusing is why the 119 er didn't wrestle 119 instead of bumping up to 125? It was you coach that said "dodging seeds is laughable" That is only a fan's survey of the situation. Seeds are determined prior to the Siac tourney when head to head competition has happened. Konrath's name was even in the book. Maybe it was in the book all day long? It did seem to a lot of people that there was some dodging. But like it was said coaching is done for the wrestler's not for anyone else. I am a fan of what has been done at MV and I respect where the program has gone to in the last few years. Good Luck this weekend MV in the Big 8 tourney.

Coach Gilpin:

As usual, you exhibited a class act. And to echo boiler's thoughts, you've resurrected that program to a very high level. I do know that area coaches with whom I've spoke hold your coaching abilities with the highest regard.

John Barnett

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.