Midwestern High School Championship

blueandgold

I just learned about the Massachusetts state tournament today that starts with Sectionals, advances to Divisional State Championships, then the All-State Championships, and concludes with the New England High School Championships that includes the best wrestlers from all six states in the New England region, and a lot of the competitors have gone on to become Division I wrestlers and plenty were high school All-Americans. I find it cool that the New England tournament is listed as part of their state association’s official schedule. So, now I’m wondering… What would a Midwest championship would look like? How would you want to qualify wrestlers from each state, especially considering all except Indiana have, at minimum, three classes? Would Indiana need to eliminate certain stages of the state tournament series? Would a Midwestern championship be more prestigious than a state championship? Could a larger regional championship spur a national high school championship? I think it would be interesting and attract more eyes to the sport.

Midwestern United States as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau (12)

• Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • South Dakota
  • Wisconsin