Iran wrestling news

1 minute ago, LJB said:

clearly, this is the biggest upset of this tourney...

i am trying to think of the last upset that would come close to comparing...

if Micic had been legitimate it might have come close, but, i am struggling to come up with something recent...

Tazhudinov 

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

up set yes, but, not nearly as big...

snyder has taken losses before and clearly sadulaev was injured...

The moment he beat goleij 13 - 8 in asian earlier this year i knew hes gonna be a contender for gold but who expected him to beat sadulaev , i think sadulaev wasn't ready for this tourney right.

2 minutes ago, danny rihani said:

The moment he beat goleij 13 - 8 in asian earlier this year i knew hes gonna be a contender for gold but who expected him to beat sadulaev , i think sadulaev wasn't ready for this tourney right.

with as soft as sadulaeuv looked and then literally tapping out in the match, i think it is safe to assume that he has been carrying an injury for awhile...

Yesterday's finals:

55kg: Dadmarz beats the Kazakh 6-3 and wins Bronze. Azizli destroyed the Georgian. Dadmarz had an amazing tournament, but 55kg is not an Olympic weight, so I guess he will move up to 60kg.

82kg: Mohmadi lost the final 2-1 and wins Silver. Shame about the result but a great tournament from Mohmadi. 

130kg: Mirzazadeh gives up 2 passivity points but gets 2 push outs in the second period to beat the great Kayaalp 2*-2! Mirzazadeh wins Gold. What a huge win. Incredible. After not medalling at all at 130kg from 2013-2019, Iran has won Gold Silver and Gold from 2021-2023 at Worlds, crazy.

Today's semis:

60kg: Mohsennejad loses 4-3 to Sharshenbekov (Gold favourite) and will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. This is a tough Olympic weight class and Mohsennejad showed he is probably top 5 in the weight, and not far behind Sharshenbekov at all. Impressive, but now he has to win Bronze.

97kg: The biggest (negative) surprise for us - Saravi loses to Rosillo 3-0. Man that sucks but Rosillo is having an incredible day and is so big for the weight. Saravi will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow, and it won't be easy, some amazing wrestlers in that repechage. 

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

100%

but...

when is the last time Kayaalp lost to anyone not named Lopez?

The last time in the world champs was 2018 when he lost to Estonian but before that is was 2010, so Mirzazadeh is the second person to beat him in the world champs not named Lopez in 13 years

1 minute ago, kkiane said:

The last time in the world champs was 2018 when he lost to Estonian but before that is was 2010, so Mirzazadeh is the second person to beat him in the world champs not named Lopez in 13 years

i literally could not think of one time...

Edited by LJB