Bumping up age groups at ISWA events

Raven27

Moving up in an age group should be allowed during High School season with 14U wrestlers.  I understand the idea behind it but disagree with it during HS season.  16u wrestlers are in 8th grade. 14u are mostly middle school if not all in Middle School.  Elementary Duals can have a 6th Grader wrestle a 2nd grader which is also an ISWA event.  I would love to see ISWA change the rule during HS wrestling season.  Some middle school programs do not even start wrestling until the end of January, and finding matches can be hard.  My son doesn't go to many tournaments but the 2 we have been to have only had a handful of kids in the 16u division.  He doesn't have a great birthday for wrestling I guess.  I would just like to know others thoughts on this.  Maybe I am just looking at from a Dads perspective.

Edited by Raven27

On 1/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, Raven27 said:

Moving up in an age group should be allowed during High School season with 14U wrestlers.  I understand the idea behind it but disagree with it during HS season.  16u wrestlers are in 8th grade. 14u are mostly middle school if not all in Middle School.  Elementary Duals can have a 6th Grader wrestle a 2nd grader which is also an ISWA event.  I would love to see ISWA change the rule during HS wrestling season.  Some middle school programs do not even start wrestling until the end of January, and finding matches can be hard.  My son doesn't go to many tournaments but the 2 we have been to have only had a handful of kids in the 16u division.  He doesn't have a great birthday for wrestling I guess.  I would just like to know others thoughts on this.  Maybe I am just looking at from a Dads perspective.

I feel you.  One of my grandsons turned 14 early his freshman year.  For years at the smaller local tournaments he had to wrestle up to at least have a few matches.