Growing the Sport

blueandgold

The arguments on whether or not there should be class wrestling will go on forever. Some agree, others disagree, but what grows the sport? What makes wrestling feel big? In my opinion, the more access and opportunity the people at the top give the others to dive in and have reason for them to feel big or of importance, I think grows the sport tremendously, but more importantly when you can see a lot of thought has been put into something, you put a lot of thought into it as well.

It’s crazy how brains work. The investment in the rankings and tournament seeds that generate interest in match-ups is such a cool thing to witness because wrestling isn’t just an opinionated discussion anymore, and it becomes a literal argument of science due to the implementation of various criteria. When this website started doing Semi-State rankings, it was such a cool thing to see. If they added regional and conference rankings, some could say it’s overkill, but I say the more, the merrier.

The articles are great, the data and information on here is all great, the next thing I would want as a fan of IndianaMat would be if they partnered with the guys on Instagram who show technique and give us tutorials, but I’m sure Joe and Co. have thought far beyond this and have more content for us to unpack.

What can we do though as coaches, parents, spectators, etc. to grow the sport? How do we increase youth participation? How do we make this sport enjoyable for all involved? How big of a part do venues play? I want to know your thoughts and opinions. I love hearing the discussions on this board because a lot of guys have great ideas and points.

I think that there are a few networks that are starting to air matches on Facebook and YouTube. I think that’s a great start. We didn’t have this technology in my days, so seeing that is awesome.

I wonder if the schools could do their own broadcasting classes that follow all of their high school sports and broadcast it live on their page/site/etc.

Edited by The Zebra

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.