Transition from Folkstyle to Freestyle

grecoref

I know when took over the Whiteland program about 6-7 years ago, we had no one wrestling freestyle except a few high school guys that were interested. Now that I've continued to push it, we get about 20 kids following through to freestyle state. It starts will building a good folkstyle program and then keeping those that love the sport to stick around during the spring to continue wrestling. It takes a while to build a steady group that are interested.

What I typically do is show some highlight matches with big throws and exciting freestyle moves that keep the kids interested. They see the throws and the big takedowns and it keeps them interested in learning those moves. It has helped me build a decent group of guys to continue through the spring. It would be nice if they moved the folkstyle state into February at least for the little guys, but scheduling during IHSAA series would be conflicting.

I would personally love to see middle school, high school and collegiate wrestling switch to freestyle wrestling.

We want all the freestyle participants we can get. But we are only going to allow 2 from each weight to go to Fargo. And if you are one of the top 2, pony up the $700+ if you want to make the trip. So, what's most important in that scenario? I'll give ya three guesses. But I'll bet you only need one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.