Marion County seeding

Thornton

What in the world is going on with the seeding here? If this is what we have developed as the best system for seeding a tournament, then some sanity needs to be introduced to the process. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the goal of seeding to seperate the best wrestlers as much as possible and have them meet later in the tournament? The question is how do we determine who the best wrestlers are. We look at head to head competition, record against common opponents, overall winning percentage...be in the case that none of those apply, shouldn't advancement in the state tournament be considered? Here is the case I am most frustrated by...Maximilliano Hernandez from Warren Central has yet to wrestle this year, so his 0-0 record does not merit consideration for a seed. This will not affect him because along with Norman Oglesby of Ben Davis, they are the class of this field. By shear luck they are in opposite half brackets, but the guy who gets the short straw here is Austin Osbourne of Decatur Central, who as the 7th seed, draws Hernandez first round...a likely 1 and done day for him. He will not get the chance to wrestle back for a place because of a flawed system. What really would have sucked is if Hernandez and Ogelsby drew each other first round (a possibility in this system). We need to return to s system that gets input from the coaches and allows a state place-winner with a 0-0 record to be seeded accordingly. Rant off.

Norman Oglesby***

There were some issues at the meeting last night that should be addressed by all the coaches.  We should share emails and get all the county coaches on which criteria we feel is the most fair and accurate way of separating the best kids.  Once we have that list of criteria we should then take it to our ads.  I think this could help us in the future to make sure that situations like this are not handled in the manner they were last night.  There was a lot of hostility to the system and a lot of upset coaches but with the rules that were in place we weren't able to do anything. 

All of the coaches in the room seemed to have a valid point but unfortunately we weren't able to do anything.  Luckily, norman and max didn't draw one another in the first round, but that was a possibility. 

Lets not raise hell and have no set plan as to what we would all like to see happen moving forward.

At the City Wrestling Tournament our seeding criteria involved State Place Winner, Semi State Qualifier, Returning Champ, etc....I think that we did our best in separating the best wrestler, with those added criteria. Just something to think about when it comes to seeding the best wrestlers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.