Junior Duals Roster

I am the Team Leader for this Team and am responsible for any all misunderstandings, the buck stops with me. That being said it was brought to my attention, I investigated it and unfortunately made the adjustment.

Everything being said this is a great trip for the Juniors as it it gives you a chance to test yourself against all types of competition. I look forward to taking kids to Oklahoma every year as the tournament is well run and very organized.

Still time to fill those spots!

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

I'm going to overstep my boundaries here a bit, but to me the real question is why would we even have to question whether an 8th grader could step into the spot? I have an 8th grader that would take the opportunity as well, but Indiana has plenty of junior kids, why can't we get enough to field this team? That is the problem that as a community we need to figure out how to fix.

Coach Erikson, with everything you have going on you have done a great job, and continue to do so.  You are a pioneer in our sport and your dedication both on and off the mat have helped thousands of individuals.  You have done more for Indiana over this one summer than most coaches have the ability to do in a lifetime.  Indiana is extremely fortunate to have you and I look forward to learning absolutely everything I can from you.  With that said, to any haters or doubters: Coach Erikson, myself, the ISWA, etc. cannot do it alone.  It's a cultural issue for the state that we have to address collectively. I originally had a long post in response to this but with all of the smoke I chose to take a break from the boards.  Yes, the real issue is not the 8th grader stepping in but more so why did he have to and why aren't the other Juniors jumping to fill these spots.  This tournament is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY! Not only individually in regards to getting some of the best competition in the country, but also as a chance to go represent your state with hopes of winning a national championship for Indiana!!!!  I personally would have much rather had Indiana's best Junior(s) at this weight, which we went after, but for various reasons (primarily $) none wanted to take advantage of the opportunity.  Even still, many of the kids that are on the Junior team aren't rolling in dough either.  They had to go hit the pavement and fundraise, get donations, etc.  This is deeper than my sources.  Nevertheless, on the bright side, all of this hoopla brings awareness and awareness is good.  We have gotten a lot of support from the true supporters about what we can/should do in the future to address this issue, and the process has already started for next year.  With that said I can promise one thing: 1) whether we fill these spots or not, rest assured Indiana will go out there and wrestle our a$$e$ off to try and win a national championship!  To the Juniors wrestling on this trip, keep training fellas, keep that chip on your shoulder, it's gonna be a fun run!  Happy Father's Day, Indiana!

As of right now this is what we have for the trip to OKC. If you know of anyone who would fit one of the open weights please feel free to contact me about it.

The trip cost is $475

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

terik28901@aol.com

5 kids between both teams were at state this year. A champ, a 5th, a 7th and 2 qualifiers.  There are 10 eligible Finalists that could go (12 if you include cadets being able to wrestle up).

Was there a big effort to contact the IHSAA State Fianlsist or did we just hand them a packet and send them on their way? Did any of them cite reasons why they didnt want to go? No Forte, No LeCount, No Micici? Blows my mind.

Unless other teams are having the same issues I think its going to be a long tournement for these kids.

It's a long tournament either way but, yes, many efforts were made to get our best, starting with the IHSAA State Finals in February. 

Without naming specifics names, for confidentiality reasons, there were a variety of issues as to why many would not hop on:  Disney Duels and FILA Juniors are essentially going on at the same time as Junior Duels.  I had several kids that wanted to compete in Oklahoma but their high school coach would get mad because they're needed in Disney.  Current injuries and not wanting to get banged up before Fargo was another.  Football conditioning and baseball snatched some up. Some have summer jobs.  Some of the seniors who have already signed their NLI and didn't feel a reason to go, whether they're taking a break before their first semester or they don't want their stock to drop in the coach's eyes.  Some are just focused on training, and using their money, to pay for Fargo.  Some simply don't have the money. Folkstyle is still pulling some away. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

It would be a much easier sell if the trip was free but, as Y2 eluded to, this would be extremely  unfair for the other trips as the ISWA already does a lot in making the trips easier on parent's pockets.  I think I paid twice as much to go to Fargo and the Duels when I was competing than what they are paying now.

It's the perception of the trip I think, but definitely the overall mindset towards it needs a 180 degree adjustment.  Oklahoma is not necessarily a sexy destination.  Don't get me wrong: competing for a title is the only reason to go, as the true warriors will go wrestle in Haiti if needed, and it shouldn't matter.  But we can post Disney Dual openings on the board and I would be willing to bet those spots get filled easier than Oklahoma.  Sure, Daytona Beach for the Cadets sounds like a blast.  It will be moving to Pennsylvania in the immediate future but I'm sure they will still have a decent turnout.  Iowa isn't sexy, but the Juniors got 2nd at Folkstyle Nationals this year because of the mindset towards Folkstyle.

My goal is to charge this year as a learning year as the Junior Team has been in decline for a few years now. Thank God, and the Indianamat staff, for allowing Indiana to have a platform to be heard, because now we are all beginning to see the effects.  Personally, some of the solutions I will be working on are establishing stronger relationships with the Cadets and parents about the importance of this trip, locking some of them in ahead of time, changing the perception of the Junior Duels with better marketing campaign, and begin garnering more support from H.S. coaches about the importance of participating.  I also think the wrestling will experience a rennaissance with this whole IOC thing, and 74kg at the Trials alone should renew interest in Freestyle.  It's like Field of Dreams: if you build it they will come.  When we have some of Indiana's more recognized wrestlers on the team, the others will come out of the shadows as there will be more excitement about going out there.

Having a loaded team does not necessarily guarantee Indiana's success either, but it does give us a more competitive chance.  There are a variety of issues and solutions out there and I'm certain that Coach Erikson, myself, the ISWA, etc. are open to any and all logical suggestions. 

To the Junior Team: the itinerary will be posted again later today.  Also, we are working to stream the Duels from Oklahoma for your viewing enjoyment.  Thanks, Indiana!

To answer your questions, yes other Teams do have trouble filling rosters as there will be plenty of forfeits that the Team will receive in OKC. The names you dropped where all contacted in one way or another by myself or one of the Coaches. This is not an easy trip to recruit to as it runs at the same time as Disney Duals, if your Team doesn't go to Disney it goes to a Team camp in preperation for Fargo. I shake my head all the time at the "what if we brought all our best how good would we be" question. 

I am sorry I do not mean to make excuses but just giving you some insight into what goes on with this trip in particular. Personnelly I think it is a great trip for the tweeners who are right on the cusp of being on the podium in Bankers Life, it gives you 7+ guraneted matches against all levels of competition.

My goal for these kids is to win matches, have a good time and represent the State of Indiana to the best of their ability.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

No need to apologize coach its understandable and you and coach hull are doing your best with what ya got. I know that the older generation think of duals as it was 5-10 years ago. It has apprently changed over that time. Still a great trip and as long as our best are not sitting at home eating cheesey poofs I think we as a state will be ok. Best of luck in OK.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.