Weight Issues

CoachW33

I have a wrestler whose alpha weight was 112.9 lbs. with 8.4% body fat. Since the seasons started he has been consistently weighing out at 107lbs.

With the parent permission sign off, he can only go to 108.6 lbs. I was under the understanding that with the doctor?s sign off he would be able to make 106 lbs. When I submitted the information to the state, this was not the case. We were told the doctor?s sign off didn?t matter.

I wasn?t sure if I was missing something or we?re just stuck at 113. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a wrestler whose alpha weight was 112.9 lbs. with 8.4% body fat. Since the seasons started he has been consistently weighing out at 107lbs.

With the parent permission sign off, he can only go to 108.6 lbs. I was under the understanding that with the doctors sign off he would be able to make 106 lbs. When I submitted the information to the state, this was not the case. We were told the doctors sign off didnt matter.

I wasnt sure if I was missing something or were just stuck at 113. Any help would be appreciated.

The Dr. can only sign off on a wrestler that is under 7% body fat on the day of the body fat test. That wrestlers Dr. has to sign a paper saying that the kid is naturally under 7% body fat for that kid to wrestle at all. He would not be able to lose any weight below what he weighed the day of the test.

A committee of head wrestling coaches from around the state met with the IHSAA several times last spring and discussed/evaluated different components of our sport in Indiana.  One of the items that was brought up is this very issue that CoachW33 has brough up.  What about the kid that is body fat tested at the beginning of the season, but a couple of months later his body has naturally come down in weight but he is now violating his weight control plan.

The committee recommended (and Mr. Faulkens agreed to it) that a wrestler in this situation be eligible to be "retested" by I believe the end of December (no later than this). 

You might give the IHSAA a call to double check, but it may be as simple as putting him back on the body fat analyzers and re-entering his data into the IHSAA's data base thereby re-calculating his weight class.  Certainly, this provision was not recommended so every wrestler in the state could recertify at the end of December, but more for football players whose body chemistry looks very, very different on Dec. 20 than it did on Nov. 4 after 6-7 weeks of wrestling practice. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.