Q and A with Jeffersonville's Daniel Thompson

dstruck

http://www.usatodayhss.com/newalbany/article/q-a-with-jeffersonvilles-daniel-thompson-wrestler-headed-to-wabash--2012312130128

Q&A with Jeffersonville's Daniel Thompson | Wrestler headed to Wabash

12:47 AM, Dec. 14, 2012 EST

Jeffersonville High School's Daniel Thompson says wrestling teaches him self-discipline. / Scott Utterback/The Courier-Journal

Jeffersonville senior wrestler Daniel Thompson is a diverse student who also runs cross country and plays piano and guitar in a band. He was a regional qualifier last season in wrestling, and he recently signed with Wabash College.

The Courier-Journal: Running cross country and wrestling is a unique sports double. How did you get involved in both?

Daniel Thompson: One of my friends was a wrestler and a runner, and he kind of drew me in. Cross country really helps with our endurance for wrestling. I get myself in shape and am able to cut weight real easily through running.

What's the key for cutting weight the correct way?

The main thing is gaining muscle and cutting body fat. You get as big as you can with the least amount of body-fat percentage. The typical average of an expert athlete is 7 percent. Mine is about 11 percent. So it's a balance between gaining muscle and eating right.

What do you enjoy about wrestling?

It's a fantastic sport. It really teaches you self-discipline. That's the No. 1 quality I've gained.

What pointed you toward signing with Wabash?

Wabash had a clinic with us last season; at the end they were trying to sell the school to us. It's an all-male school, and I had no intention of doing that. It didn't sound very appealing. But my mom put it on the college visit list, and when I went I fell in love with it. It's a great campus, and I really enjoyed the small private college aspect.

You had a chance to travel to Europe during the summer. What was memorable about that experience?

We stayed in Spain for five days and France for six, and I learned so much about the culture, about the language. I was able to interact with people.

What do you enjoy away from sports?

Music is probably my No. 1 thing. I have a really broad range of music I listen to, and I really like classical music. And I'm in a band (called On The Sun) where I play piano, guitar and sing vocals.

Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

Probably Coach (Danny) Struck. It's not just the wrestling. He's a phenomenal coach and person. His attitude and discipline is an excellent model for all of us. People sometimes aren't the best students, and he turns their lives around through wrestling. He teaches commitment and what that means. Without that, I don't think I would be where I am today.

What is your favorite subject in school?

My love for social studies started in my sophomore year when I took European History. That's the first year I realized I enjoyed history, it was the first good history teacher I had. I enjoyed going home and reading the textbook a couple of chapters ahead, just because it was interesting. I also found a passion in debating, and I've always been quite the arguer.

What are your goals for the wrestling season?

As a team our goal is always a state championship. My obtainable, reachable, personal goal is to be a state qualifier. I'm definitely excited.

DANIEL THOMPSON UP CLOSE

School: Jeffersonville

Year: Senior

Family: Parents Jana Thompson and Johnny Federoff; sister Ashley (24); brother Tanner (11)

Student-athlete: Daniel also runs cross country. He is a member of the National Honor Society, French Club and is ranked fifth in his class. He has signed to wrestle at Wabash College, and he plans to major in political science and attend law school.

Coach Danny Struck: Daniel has come a long way as a wrestler. He has always been a great person and a great student, and those two things have turned him into a good wrestler. He is a great kid to talk to because he is into so many things and has so many interests. It has been awesome to have a kid of his intellect with us. He attracted a new type a wrestler to our team, and we love him for that.

-- Justin Sokeland

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.