Weight Lifting and Wrestling Success

nkraus

08 State champ, Steve Stahl checking in to give my input on the conversation?

I Love PANKOStregthSpeeds input! So many athletes (AND COACHES) do NOT understand some basic concepts of how their body works and how to effectively train it. I know, I was in the same shoes in high school, and wish I knew a fraction of what I know now.

I?ve been working with wrestlers for the past year now doing strength and conditioning for them and a variety of athletes at Rockstar Kettlebell Gym. Our facility is going to move to a building 3X our current size due in part to the success of our athlete program. I went to Florida this past summer to get certified by Zach Evan Esh one of the nation?s leaders in wrestler specific training. I?ll post the link to his site at the bottom. If coaches and athletes are looking for strength training information it would be irresponsible for you to not to start with Zach, he?s got a lot of great info.

Wreslters and coaches need to understand the importance of a strength program; when to cut the negatives, when to load/de-load, more conditioning or less, and so on. The first thing many wreslters forget is that diet is number#1.

The second is that a 2 hour wrestling practice (an aerobic activity) is NOT the same as a 6 min match (very much anaerobic activity). For those that I lost at aerobic/anaerobic, aerobic means with oxygen, anaerobic is without. So when you?re in the second period and you?re gasping for air, its not a matter of endurance; that?s with oxygen. You simply failed to train your anaerobic system (the one that operates without oxygen).  Its worth noting that 2 of the 3 energy systems PANKOStregthSpeed referred to are anaerobic. So know that your body has 3 energy systems ask yourself which one(s) am I training and which ones do I need to wrestle for 6 min?

Heres a thought?

Oxygen is a luxury in wrestling. 2 of your bodies energy?s systems operate without oxygen. These 2 are are more powerful than your oxidative (aerobic) system. So as a WRESTLER which systems should you train?

All that said, know your weaknesses! strength and conditioning (and diet) are vital for success, but they are not the end all be all! If your gassing in the third you need some metabolic conditioning (I suggest a kettlebell), if your lacking explosiveness get on some barbell cleans and plyometrics, if your technique needs work get on the mat! You get the idea.

Check some of these out. I'll have more videos of some of the off-season stuff my guys will be doing in the coming months.

http://www.undergroundstrengthclub.com/

http://getwrestlingstrength.com/

http://rockstarkbg.com/RockStar_Kettlebell_Gym/Rock_Star_Kettlebell_Gym.html

I dont think you need to be jacked to be a great wrestler. Technique is key, but you need to have enough strength to execute and not get over powered yourself....

Some other things you can do as someone said before is to do push-ups when you wake up and go to bed.  Instead of doing 20 do as many as you can and keep a chart. Its nice to see your progression to keep you motivated.  Another thing we did was plate work outs... grab a 25/35/45 pound weight and do different exercises with them.

08 State champ, Steve Stahl checking in to give my input on the conversation?

I Love PANKOStregthSpeeds input! So many athletes (AND COACHES) do NOT understand some basic concepts of how their body works and how to effectively train it. I know, I was in the same shoes in high school, and wish I knew a fraction of what I know now.

I?ve been working with wrestlers for the past year now doing strength and conditioning for them and a variety of athletes at Rockstar Kettlebell Gym. Our facility is going to move to a building 3X our current size due in part to the success of our athlete program. I went to Florida this past summer to get certified by Zach Evan Esh one of the nation?s leaders in wrestler specific training. I?ll post the link to his site at the bottom. If coaches and athletes are looking for strength training information it would be irresponsible for you to not to start with Zach, he?s got a lot of great info.

Wreslters and coaches need to understand the importance of a strength program; when to cut the negatives, when to load/de-load, more conditioning or less, and so on. The first thing many wreslters forget is that diet is number#1.

The second is that a 2 hour wrestling practice (an aerobic activity) is NOT the same as a 6 min match (very much anaerobic activity). For those that I lost at aerobic/anaerobic, aerobic means with oxygen, anaerobic is without. So when you?re in the second period and you?re gasping for air, its not a matter of endurance; that?s with oxygen. You simply failed to train your anaerobic system (the one that operates without oxygen).  Its worth noting that 2 of the 3 energy systems PANKOStregthSpeed referred to are anaerobic. So know that your body has 3 energy systems ask yourself which one(s) am I training and which ones do I need to wrestle for 6 min?

Heres a thought?

Oxygen is a luxury in wrestling. 2 of your bodies energy?s systems operate without oxygen. These 2 are are more powerful than your oxidative (aerobic) system. So as a WRESTLER which systems should you train?

All that said, know your weaknesses! strength and conditioning (and diet) are vital for success, but they are not the end all be all! If your gassing in the third you need some metabolic conditioning (I suggest a kettlebell), if your lacking explosiveness get on some barbell cleans and plyometrics, if your technique needs work get on the mat! You get the idea.

Check some of these out. I'll have more videos of some of the off-season stuff my guys will be doing in the coming months.

http://www.undergroundstrengthclub.com/

http://getwrestlingstrength.com/

http://rockstarkbg.com/RockStar_Kettlebell_Gym/Rock_Star_Kettlebell_Gym.html

there is no doubt that steve knows his stuff when it comes to sport specific training/diet and can make a huge difference in any young athletes performance......i have seen him do it with my sons and many others....like he said, he wished he knew back in high school what he knows now and kids nowdays can get this type of training much easier.....for them and their coaches not to take advantage of this is really crazy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.