Edgewood Invite at a glance.....

rdrodd1

Just a few thoughts about your tournament even though I don't have any dogs in this fight but love coming here to watch this one.......

You guys run a great tournament and have some really good schools there and a lot of great competition throughout the day.....However, if I may say so, there are a few changes that you could make to have a really top notch tournament year in and year out from a wrestling fan/family point of view......So please don't be offended by this....

1.  You need to have a program with a list of wrestlers from each school with their projected weights listed....It would only take one email/fax from each coach to provide this list.  Personally, I have been coming to this tournament for the last few years and this has been a nightmare for the average fan like me......

2.  I understand that you only have two scoreboards on each end of the gym and two table side score boards but you need to at least put the portable scoreboards towards the center of the gym so that fans can see the score from either side of the gym....Also, utilize the score board to show what weight class is on the mat....and by all means, please show the team scores on the score tables of the portable score tables.....

3.  Ease up on the bleacher police......Most of these fans are family of the kids on the mat and when you are in the stands you can only see about 2/3 of the mat if you are sitting on the side of the gym your team is wrestling on, no matter how low or high you are sitting.  A lot of these families want to video tape the match that their kid is in and they keep getting run off by the bleacher police and can't stand up against the railing so that they can see the whole mat....I understand that you don't want everyone lined up on the upper level blocking the view of others or falling off the upper tier of the gym (put chains up to block the lower bleachers if you don't want them down there) but I don't think that would happen anyway.....I seen Martinsville and Greenwood video camera's up all day and they weren't in the way of anybody and nobody would have complained anyway.....Ease up there.....If it is a fire issue I am quite sure the camera's would have been run over.....

4.....Last but not least.....you guys have a great concession stand and the Mothers' put a lot into it for this tourney but when a fat old guy gets in line to buy a hot dog and you run out of change you rounded the hot dog up from 1.50 to 2.00......I paid the 2.00 and was still happy with a good dog and a great bowl of soup.....

The best thing about this Edgewood tournament?  Everybody down here are great, humble people.......Everybody, especially the kids are very polite and nice.....Class group of teams and fans.........

JUST A THOUGHT........

Good tournament. Several ranked athletes to watch and other close matches going down to the wire. Props also to the Martinsville kids for putting on a gymnasitcs show after round 3  :)

I agree about the bleacher police too, but they were generally polite about getting people to move, even the home team fans who sat there...

The tournament is a good one, however I also agree a few tweaks and it becomes a great one. My complaint would be parents and fans access to the floor and proximity to the wrestlers. I saw one fan ejected by an official. Keep them upstairs other than the concessions. ;D

The tournament is a good one, however I also agree a few tweaks and it becomes a great one. My complaint would be parents and fans access to the floor and proximity to the wrestlers. I saw one fan ejected by an official. Keep them upstairs other than the concessions. ;D

I didn't see that but I heard about it.  I heard that he was sitting with the team and riding the ref pretty hard.  The refs have a hard enough job as it is dealing with the pressure of making the right calls and dealing with the coaches.  Then having to deal with all of us arm chair refs (you know we have all been there).  The ref's did a really good job overall there at Edgewood.

Keep up the good work though Edgewood.  Very good tournament with good, tough teams....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.