The Vote

Drooke

"IHSAA was studying the change amid lower attendance and some coaches holding their top wrestlers out to better prepare them for the individual championships." 

Logically this statement seems flawed.  The individual tournament falls before the team state tournament.  I understand they are trying to say coaches are with holding their varsity wrestlers from mid week dual meets to advance to the team series but more clarification should be required.  I am saddened to see the team state tournament dissipate... I know there was a consistent group of 10-12 teams that made the trip and that a bulk of high schools never had the opportunity to participate but the environment was electric.  Also, I believe it made the concept of a team in wrestling come full circle.  You sacrificed for your teammates by bumping up or lowering a weight class and so on.  I do realize this was a fiscal decision as much as anything I am just saddened the team state series is over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.