Open Practice

brokenarmssuck

There was a pretty good turnout this weekend of central Indiana kids, find a person to drill with and ask your HS coach to open the door and work your a@@ off drill takedowns, top/bottom ,pinning combos its all in how bad YOU want it.

You say that like it's easy to find a partner and a place to wrestle. Maybe this kid is the only wrestler that don't play football and his coaches coach football. Some kids have to go other places to work their a@@ off. Now I don't know what school this kid goes to, but I assume he has a good reason to trying to find a place and partner to get on the mat with. Some schools aren't 100% dedicated to wrestling yet may have a kid on the team that is which makes it hard for him to reach his goals. Like I said I don't know where he's from just assuming he has a good reason to ask this question.

All I was saying there is alot you can work on by yourself or with one partner even if it (an out of shape dad like myself)  I dont know one coach who would not open the room doors for a dedicated kid. What school do you attend young man. Work on sit outs and standups at home visualize , get your movement right and get your cardio up for right now until your coaches get on the ball PM me if you are in central IN we might be able to work something out Im always wanting to help the dedicated get better.

It's sad but there are some coaches that don't have the time to open the room and watch a kid during the off season. Some schools have rules against a kid going to the wrestling room with out a coach. There's a lot of schools and teams that don't have the chances that other schools have. Central Indiana has a lot of dedicated wrestlers and coaches and families. Some school see wrestling as just a sport yet once in a while will find some kids with high dedication that might have to find other ways to reach there goals. It is nice to see that you're willing to help a kid that is willing to go out side their school to reach their goals. I know from expierence that it's hard to compete in wrestling when it's hard to find a dedicated year round partner and some time can be a diffence between reaching goals I'm seen it as wrestler and spectator. Thats why I'm thankful for coaches and teams that are willing to help others from other schools out. WCDad I'm glad you haven't gotten to meet a coach that can't dedicate their ful time to wrestling.

Yes you can do a lot to improve yourself by yourself. Speed, strength, cardio are things that one can work on by them selfs. Technique needs a partner... showdow wrestling can only take you so far. The best way to improve you technique is to have a partner that can show you the situtations you need to work on. It also helps if you have partners with different styles so you don't just get used to wrestling against one style. A kid also needs to remember that the best live partner don't always make good drill partners. A good drill partner can help one polish their take downs and help their partners make sure they're hitting the move right when drilling before they try to hit is live. The best part about a drill partner is they don't always have to be the best wrestler they just need to be willing to work with a partner and give them a good look.

Wheres the kid live if you dont mind me asking. That is upsetting to know there is coaches like that I have spent endless hours drilling with my son forever maybe he should ask old dad or mom and put pillows down in the livingroom and practice standups and whatever he can I wish him all the best.

Using a parent can only do so much if they know hardly anything about wrestling. The best way to get better is by being in a wrestling room with other wrestlers with the same goals so they can push each other. I actually know of a couple of situations like that that I've heard over my years of wrestling in college. You can't just blame the coaches sometime the school can't get a coach that's main focus is wrestling. In most of the cases I've heard of or know of are smaller schools and the coaches coached multiple sports. In the case I'm most familiar with I'm just happy the coach was willing to step up other wise they wouldn't have a coach at all. The smaller school can have trouble with getting coaches dedicated to one sport and some times has coaches that aren't teachers. It takes a special person to be a dedicated head wrestling coach.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.