Parents of seniors

fearless fly

Being the mom of 4 seniors (3 boys and 1 girl), I would say this year?s wrestling season has been one of so many smiles and quite a few tears.  Time has just flown and I can hardly believe that there are only a few weeks left of the season. As I get up every Saturday morning to pack the boys? cooler, get into the car and drive to their wrestling meets, I realize it will be the last time my boys will lace up their shoes and wrestle at the host school.  On the way to the meets,  I reminisce about their first matches at the host school, the numerous friends they have come to know from the various schools, the many coaches and refs they have met, and of course some crazy stories they have told when they got home from those meets. I remember how they gave up their summers to improve their wrestling skills by attending various wrestling camps and tournaments around the country and even a trip to Japan.  While at the meets this year, I sit in the stands sometimes cheering and sometimes just taking it all in. I have this tremendous pride as I watch them got out on the mat as team leaders. All three of the boys have taken younger teammates under their wings. I had one parent tell me how one of my sons (the one who rarely talks) was able to speak to her son in a way no one else could and because of those one or two sentences my son spoke, her son has a totally different attitude about cutting weight and how he is an integral part of the team?s success as well as all the others.  Another thing I have seen is how one of my other boys perform a cute little ritual of folding his warm-ups into this neat little pile that has to be just so before every one of his matches (Definitely not like his mother who hates to fold clothes).  Or, the way their sister keeps score for their matches then joins her brothers between matches sitting on the empty mats, laughing and joking with them and several other wrestlers. Or the way the boys make sure their teammates have a ride to practice or to the local gym to run on the treadmill or swim laps in the pool. Or how our house has become a place where fellow teammates hang out playing XBOX, telling stories or watching movies almost daily.  I am continuously amazed at how their confidence, their determination, their maturity, their sacrifices, and their sportsmanship have grown by leaps and bounds over their high school career. On the days leading up to their team?s senior night program, my kids begged me not to cry when we were being introduced. It was hard to do but I managed not to cry that night. But I didn?t tell them I had spent most of the day in my room shedding many tears.  Now with the start of the tournament series being just a couple days away, I know I will shed many tears over the next few weeks but I also know I will have a lot of memorable and joyful moments. So as a parent of four seniors, I thank you for allowing all of us to be a part of this wonderful wrestling family. I also want to thank God for giving me such great kids or should I say fine young men and a fine young lady.  I have definitely been blessed times four.

Good luck to all the seniors. May you reach your goals and may all your dreams come true.

Julie Rieker

Being a coach as well as a parent of a Senior,  I have to say this is a sad prospect.  I have been coaching youth, MS and now helping with HS for the better part of my Senior's life.  It has been an Honor to be able to be with him and see him develop and improve, not only as an athlete, but as a person.  I am proud to say I am his Father!!  I will miss watching him compete(unless he does in college), but I will always know that wrestling has helped him to become the man that he is becoming.  Keegan has taken an interest in helping others learn the sport and wants to go into coaching/teaching.

Jeff Pyke

Being a coach as well as a parent of a Senior,  I have to say this is a sad prospect.  I have been coaching youth, MS and now helping with HS for the better part of my Senior's life.  It has been an Honor to be able to be with him and see him develop and improve, not only as an athlete, but as a person.  I am proud to say I am his Father!!   I will miss watching him compete(unless he does in college), but I will always know that wrestling has helped him to become the man that he is becoming.  Keegan has taken an interest in helping others learn the sport and wants to go into coaching/teaching.

Jeff Pyke

He is a fine young man as me and my son Tyler Elmore got to know him this summer wrestling for NCI. He was always getting kids ready for their matches by pumping them up with a little talk or some jokes to break some nerves.  He would even talk to me!(my son thinks I talk to everone!) which I do, but I like to find out what some of these kids are thinking before big matches. You should be proud Jeff ! Good luck to him as sectionals start and hopefully we can all make it to Conseco!!

Jeff Elmore

He is a fine young man as me and my son Tyler Elmore got to know him this summer wrestling for NCI. He was always getting kids ready for their matches by pumping them up with a little talk or some jokes to break some nerves.  He would even talk to me!(my son thinks I talk to everone!) which I do, but I like to find out what some of these kids are thinking before big matches. You should be proud Jeff ! Good luck to him as sectionals start and hopefully we can all make it to Conseco!!

Jeff Elmore

Thanks Jeff  we are    see ya saturday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.