middle school tournaments and iswa state on same day

macattack16

my son austin can not wrestle in the folkstyle state this yr for the first time in 10 yrs because he is a cadet and cadets wrestle on saturday and we have our middle school conference the same day. i know we are not the only ones affected by this. i was wondering why the iswa cant have schoolboy and cadets on sunday, that would eliminate this problem. there are many potential state champs that cant wrestle in the state ffinals, kinda a real bummer.

I wish there was something the ISWA could do to eliminate the problem and it has been discussed in length. In 2009 there were 430 Cadet wrestlers, 299 Schoolboys and 364 Juniors. If they waited until Sunday to wrestle both Schoolboys and Cadets the total would equal 729. That would mean a one day tourney consisting of  729 wrestlers in only 34 weight classes.  Given the level of competition in the older age divisions, a one day tourney is not possible.  Kids have school on Monday, parents have to work and ISWA volunteers have to tear down, load the truck, drive back to Indy, unload and then drive home.  

you need to get with your kids coach and have all the coaches in the conferenece get together and set their tournaments on a different weekend.....that's what ours did....our conference finals are the next weekend....

In 2009 there were 430 Cadet wrestlers, 299 Schoolboys and 364 Juniors.

Unless there is a mad rush today and tomorrow to register, we will not be close to this number this year....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.