Kids State Weigh-ins...

CG-Coach

I did not know anything about it! To say that the ISWA knew about it and were allowing it is not an accurate statement. Maybe someone associated with ISWA saw it and let it go. If that is the case, shame on them.

The simple answer here is that the ISWA did not provide a check scale (as was stated). We did not concern ourselves with what others may have brought in, afterall, they were not official and competitors were taking the risk of depending on their accuracy. If the process instructions were followed a check scale would have been useless. The instructions were for wrestlers to report directly to skin-checks and weigh-ins, which, would not have allowed for the opportunity to utilize nor benefit from a check scale. We constantly policed the building and made a concerted effort to inforce the process.

I did see the scale in the bathroom; didn't use it, because junior went straight into the wrestling room as instructed.  Like littlejohn said, it wouldn't have mattered anyway, how could we have  known if the scale in the bathroom was consistent with the official scales?

Since I'd really like to see this topic go away, this is it from me.  The competitive level of Indiana wrestling is improving at basically all levels...some comments have been made that suggest it's good to make parallels between high school weigh-in rules/procedures and youth wrestling.  That's okay with me, but...if you tried to host a high school tournament and didn't provide access to the scales prior to the weigh in...you would be promptly run out of town, it just doesn't happen.  Good coaches get their kids on site early for the specific purpose of checking weights.  Scales are different!  The weights and measures people do their thing and certify scales...but there are still differences. 

This may be an "agree to disagree" issue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.