What makes a great coach

allaroundfan165

Just wondering what some of you guys think out there. I am new starting out my coaching career fresh out of college wrestling and here are some observations I have made please let me know how you all feel. I feel a great coach is someone who motivates and runs the program overall I dont necessarily think he is the one sitting around showing every bit of technique and I dont think he is always the guy in the corner of the match. For instance I am not a mishawaka guy but we do see them at the Mishawake Holiday Tournament and I totally admire their program for a couple of reasons. Number 1 obviously they are well coached in technique but number two is more important I feel if you look at their matches there is different coaches in the corner almost every match. It is almost like they have individual coaches for each group of wrestlers and Snyder is a humble enough guy to let these guys step in who may work with these kids every day. That to me is the way to build a program. You see this alot on the college level as well. Let me know what you think.

I think you are on the right track.  No one coach can change a program arround.  If you have a great high school coach with a bad middle school coach your program will always be falling behind.  I think if you have good coaching with kids at young ages you will have quality programs. 

As far as technique goes, when it gets right down to it almost everyone uses the same moves.  So I feel another big part of being a good coach is getting wrestlers on the team.  Typically teams that have good recruiters do better then teams whos coaches may not be as personable. 

A great coach has to have a knowledge of High School wrestling.  IF he does he will know technique, but that is not what I am talking about. He needs a relationship with other coaches to schedule against tough competition.

He needs to understand the feeder system, have a relationship with the community. Have a reputation as a quality caring individual withthe community. He needs to have trust in the room and the wrestlers must believe that he has their best interest at heart.

But to be great, he needs to coach and not try to be a friend! Highschoolers don't need any more friends they need direction, morality and work ethic.

It does not hurt to have a few studs to give your school a great reputation!

I agree with both and the feeder is super important I was looking at an article the other day talking about some club for youths in PA just your regular feeder program being coached by two Penn State All- Americans haha how aweseome would that be they probably make a decent salary too no wonder they are so far ahead of us as a state.

The best advice I could give a young coach is to get the kids in the room first them teach them to love the sport two.  

Over my 14 years of coaching I have changed my coaching philosophy in several ways.  Early on I was a hard a## and didn't care about the kids in the room as students or people only as wrestlers and if they had issues going on in their life that made them a half step slower or inattentive they were gone.  I didn't take time to really get to know them and see where they were coming from.  And I don't think I finished with over 10 kids on a team.

Once I realized that not everyone has a perfect life and had a great homelife like I did growing up I started to see changes in our room and our team.  I still push the kids to their limit but now if they can't hack it I take the time to find out what is going on in their life and 9 times out of 10 just talking to the athlete and letting him know you realize what he is going through and maybe giving him someone he can talk to changes that kids whole attitude.

My office is right next to all of our administrators at school and can't tell you how many times I get "I can't believe that kid doesn't give you any trouble" or "Wow that kid has changed tons since joining the team"  from them because before he joined the team he might of been a constant trouble maker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.