Sweet Howe Article

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/020810aab.html

Andrew Howe: Undefeated

The 2009 NCAA runner-up is undefeated this year with a 25-0 record 

Feb. 8, 2010

MADISON, Wis.--Like many student-athletes on the University of Wisconsin campus, All-American sophomore Andrew Howe competes in his sport simply because he loves it. Howe played a variety of sports growing up, including basketball and soccer. However, none struck a chord with him as much as wrestling.

"I wrestle because I love it," said the 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year. "I like the combativeness and the fight in it. I just fell in love with wrestling in middle school."

Howe, a native of Cedar Lake, Ind., compiled a 30-5 record in the 2008-09 season but many of his matches were very close. Thirteen of his wins were decided by either one or two points. This year Howe continues to win, yet is doing so in a more dominant fashion. He already has posted two wins by pin, two by tech fall and nine by major decision, which is seven more than the previous year.

"I just believe in myself and my offense now," Howe explained. "I had offense last year but I'm more confident this year. I'm not scared to be offensive and score points, as opposed to last year where I held back a little too much and had close matches. Last year I was comfortable getting the lead and holding on to it."

Winning has always been a constant theme for Howe. He has only lost a total of six matches throughout his high school and collegiate wrestling careers combined. The 2009 NCAA runner-up is undefeated this year with a 25-0 record.

Howe entered the season ranked third in the country at 165 lbs., holding on to that spot for four weeks before moving up to No. 2 for an additional four weeks. He is now the No. 1-ranked wrestler at 165 lbs. and has been since winning the Midlands Championship at the turn of the new year.

Despite being the top ranked wrestler in his weight class at this point in the season, Howe knows to not let it blur his focus for the future.

"Nothing matters until March, not until the NCAA finals," he said. "When that's done, we'll see."

A favorite in every match this season, Howe does not let that get to his head.

"I try not to get too worked up about (being favored)," Howe said. "I just try to relax and worry about the match and wrestling my style and not let that get to you."

Howe acknowledges that much of his success is due in part to his coaches. Associate head coach Donny Pritzlaff graduated from Wisconsin in 2002 and is in his fourth year as an assistant for the Badgers. Howe believes that Pritzlaff's days as a 165 lbs. grappler at Wisconsin provide wisdom and experience that have been invaluable in helping him develop as a wrestler.

In order to continue his success, Howe has a regimented work out and sleep pattern to keep him in top shape. Waking up in the morning is hard for most UW students, but Howe regularly wakes up at six or seven in the morning to work out.

Competing in a sport that often flies under the radar, Howe feels that some people do not fully understand wrestling and are turned off by the violence of the sport. Yet with loyal fans flocking to the UW field house for home wrestling meets, fans and wrestlers alike are highly anticipating a championship run.

"We could do big things," Howe said. "I think we should be a top five team come NCAA time. Things are just starting to come together now. The intensity in the room has been great this year and everyone is feeding off of it."

---

Justin Mozer

UW Athletic Communications