Central Regionals (Ohio) and Fargo Qualification

According to the flyer for the Central Regional Championships (Columbus OH May 22-24)  the top three wrestlers qualify for the Fargo Freestyle National tournament in July.  I have heard that Indiana will not honor this qualification and that the only way to qualify is to finish top three in Freestyle State.

Is this true, and does the state really have the power to set such a rule? If they do why would they do this?

It is like the Folk style State rule. We had a wrestler that went to HS state this year and was sick the weekend of Folk style State. He was not allowed to wrestle at the Folk Style Nationals. Yet every other state allows all wrestlers who register to wrestle. Why does Indiana wrestling limit its wrestlers from participation in National venues?

Rod

According to the flyer for the Central Regional Championships (Columbus OH May 22-24)  the top three wrestlers qualify for the Fargo Freestyle National tournament in July.  I have heard that Indiana will not honor this qualification and that the only way to qualify is to finish top three in Freestyle State.

Is this true, and does the state really have the power to set such a rule? If they do why would they do this?

It is like the Folk style State rule. We had a wrestler that went to HS state this year and was sick the weekend of Folk style State. He was not allowed to wrestle at the Folk Style Nationals. Yet every other state allows all wrestlers who register to wrestle. Why does Indiana wrestling limit its wrestlers from participation in National venues?

Rod

I think you might have been given some bad information.  The ISWA does honor these qualifications.  Top 3 at any of the USA Wrestling Regionals as well as top 3 at FILA Cadet or Fila JR is a qualification.    In fact it helps and allows Indiana to have more kids represent the state, because they do not count against the total number of kids we are allowed to take.  As far as Folkstyle Nationals any kid that called into or e-mailed the ISWA Office with an valid excuse for not being at folkstyle state was given a wavier and allowed into the competition. 

I would highly recomend anyone that is planning on wrestling on either the Cadet or JR Duals Team to wrestle at Central Regionals.  Placement at this tourney will help the Duals team get a better seed. 

Rod if you have any further questions you can contact me at chris@proindustries.com  or contact the ISWA office at 317-780-1885.

Rod if you have any further questions you can contact me at chris@proindustries or contact the ISWA office at 317-780-1885.

Is your email .com ? I can't get an email to you.

Rod if you have any further questions you can contact me at chris@proindustries or contact the ISWA office at 317-780-1885.

Is your email .com ? I can't get an email to you.

chris@proindustries.com  Sorry about that

It is very improtant for our wrestlers to go and compete in the Central Regionals.  Besides wreslting national level competition, USA Wrestling awards more separation criteria to Central Regional champions than to state champions.  This means you reduce your chances of getting a bad draw in Fargo.

Also, results from Central Regionals can improve our duals teams pool placement.

Not sure who was giving you information, but they couldn't have been farther from the truth.

Cale Hoover

Head Coach, Center Grove HS

IHSWCA President

ISWA Junior Director

hooverc1@centergrove.k12.in.us

It is very improtant for our wrestlers to go and compete in the Central Regionals.  Besides wreslting national level competition, USA Wrestling awards more separation criteria to Central Regional champions than to state champions.  This means you reduce your chances of getting a bad draw in Fargo.

Also, results from Central Regionals can improve our duals teams pool placement.

Not sure who was giving you information, but they couldn't have been farther from the truth.

Cale Hoover

Head Coach, Center Grove HS

IHSWCA President

ISWA Junior Director

hooverc1@centergrove.k12.in.us

Thanks for the information. The rules we have for Folkstyle made the information believable. Thanks for clearing it up.

Rod

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.