articles of interest

oldfat119

OK  now peps,,,, after a great weekend of wrestling  there are NO new articles in your local papers??? come now  there has to be some out there  soo  get em on here  so those of us that have to much time on their hands have some good stuff about the Indiana boys to read!!!

hey thanks devildog,, but im from the Lafayette area  so i did get to read those articles, i was hoping to read some from around the other parts of the state,, but yes Atwood is the man, id say that should be a good thing for him and Purdue,, ive known his day for quite a few years also.....

hey thanks devildog,, but im from the Lafayette area  so i did get to read those articles, i was hoping to read some from around the other parts of the state,, but yes Atwood is the man, id say that should be a good thing for him and Purdue,, ive known his day for quite a few years also.....

yea i want to read some from other parts of the state as well.  and I know Mike too i had some good friends that went 2 Delphi in HS he used 2 coach football and baseball not sure if he still do but Mike is a good guy and Braden is one hell of a wrestler.. we all kno he is not a 5th place finisher.. would have loved to see him and Duck in the finals.. but ther is always next year  i hope they both wrestle the same weight.. I will take Braden hands down. He will be on a mission..  i kno he will bust his a$$ all year to claim that state title. look out 171/189....

Iowa Hawkeyes- http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/030409aaa.html

Some information I found interesting....  8)

HAWKEYES EARN BIG TEN TITLE, GO 24-0

The Hawkeyes earned their second straight Big Ten regular season title Feb. 22 when they defeated Northwestern, 34-13, in Evanston,IL, going undefeated (24-0, 8-0 Big Ten) in dual competition for the 2008-09 season.

It was the first time the Hawkeyes posted an undefeated season since 1999-2000, and the team ended the regular season on a 37-match winning streak. The school record for consecutive dual wins is 42 (1994-97). The current streak ranks second in school history.

The Hawkeyes have posted 12 undefeated and untied seasons in school history, and the 2009 season produced the most victories ever.

BIG TEN HONORS

The Iowa wrestling team has earned several individual Big Ten honors since they were initiated in 1986. Thirteen Hawkeyes have been named Big Ten Wrestler of the Year, eight have been named Wrestler of the Championships and four have been named Freshman of the Year. Only two Hawkeyes (Mark Ironside, 1996-97-98 and Royce Alger, 1987-88) have earned Big Ten Wrestler of the Year honors more than once. Three of Iowa's head coaches (Dan Gable, Jim Zalesky and Tom Brands) have earned conference Coach of the Year honors a combined six times.

Three Hawkeyes - Ed Banach (1983), Barry Davis (1985) and Brent Metcalf (2008) have been named Jesse Owens Big Ten Conference Male Athlete of the Year. A total of seven wrestlers have been named Iowa's Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year and eight were named Iowa's Conference Medal of Honor winners.

HAWKEYES SET ATTENDANCE RECORD

Iowa set the national collegiate dual meet attendance record of 15,955 when it hosted #2 Iowa State Dec. 6 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The previous record of 15,646 was set Feb. 1, 2002, when Minnesota hosted Iowa at the Target Center in Minneapolis. The Hawkeyes won the Iowa State dual, 20-15.

HAWKEYE WRESTLING HISTORY

Iowa's overall dual meet record is 852-215-30 (.790) in 97 seasons. The Hawkeyes have won 21 national titles and 32 Big Ten titles. Iowa's 49 NCAA champions have won a total of 76 NCAA individual titles, crowning six three-time and 14 two-time champions. The Hawkeyes' 101 Big Ten champions have won a total of 182 conference titles. There have been seven four-time, 18 three-time and 24 two-time Iowa winners. Iowa's 135 all-Americans have earned all-America status 273 times, including 17 four-time, 27 three-time and 33 two-time honorees.

CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE

The Hawkeye wrestling staff of Tom Brands, Terry Brands, Doug Schwab, Mike Zadick and Jared Frayer earned a total of one Olympic gold medal, one Olympic bronze medal, six NCAA titles, 11 conference titles and 15 all-America honors. Their combined college career wrestling record is 487-83-2 (.858).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.