What happened with Dwenger-Luers match

SSBeatReporter

It was an ugly score, but more importantly the Tony Lovejoy incident. From what I have heard he won't wrestle tomorrow at SAC and might not wrestle in sectionals. He somehow got DQ'd. The ref is a notorious Dwenger lover and I saw that just from watching him ref against(literally) South Side. Dwenger still would have won but there were two bad calls that lost two kids from SS a match.

I have now seen the tape and feel that I can answer.

In the first period Tony gave a very hard cross face.  It was no harder than others that I have seen all year.  However both teams were warned about rough wrestling.  So the penalty point was given.  Still in the first Tony was on top and drove Nix' head to the mat and the ref again thought it was too rough and gave Nix another penalty.  Neither action appeared to be particularly hard but once a ref make that call you have to learn to wrestle according to his rules.  Tony wrestled the rest of the period without incident.

The second was wrestled very well however there were several times on tape that both shoulder of the Nix kid were set on the mat but there was no call. 

In the third Nix laid flat on the mat most of the period and refused to move (I have no problem with that) but Tony continued to try to work.  He did stop at one point and raised his hands and Nix still did not move.  But the ref warned Tony for stalling.  Then in the final seconds of the match Tony again gave Nix a hard cross face.

Tony is just stronger than most kids he wrestles and is used to wrestling hard.  99% of the time a ref would take no notice of the exact same thing, but this one did and Tony and the coaches should have adjusted.

I cannot confirm that the ref is a Dwenger Lover, but I have heard from one of the Dwenger parents that he is a Dwenger grad.  But it was up to Tony to make the adjustments and not allow the ref to make that call with 7 seconds left in the match.

Tony is out for SAC (too bad since he won it as a freshman and a sophomore.)  If the ref did not get the paperwork in to the IHSAA in time his season could be over.  I sure hope the ref took this seriously enough to get that paper work in on time.

i have seen this year more than most were the refs have determind the out come of the matches, i have seen lovejoy at several tournements  and he is a class act.  the IHSAA needs to dq alot of the inconsistant refs,

i have seen this year more than most were the refs have determind the out come of the matches, i have seen lovejoy at several tournements  and he is a class act.  the IHSAA needs to dq alot of the inconsistant refs,

Yeah, I know it sucks. Is there a set rule on 'out of bounds' because I have seen it either be called way to early or way too late and it has made or broken the match. I wouldn't go as far as to say Lovejoy is a class act, too strong of a word. But there is one person I would like to say is and that is Marqueen Suel of Harding. He wrestled a kid that he had absolutely no chance. When he picked him up he could have had his way with him but he took his time putting the kid down and pinning him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.