do girls have to wear a wrestling cap?

demis mom

at princeton over the weekend one of the refs said that my daughter couldn't wrestle without a cap on.  I had never heard such a thing.  I've seen boys with hair as long as hers.  she has a cap but she doesnt like it.  it fits the head gear inside.  I was wondering about this in case we have this problem again.  he let her wrestle, but i was pretty upset.

Sarah wears one and when her younger brother had longer hair he had a ref make him wear one--so I am sure it is about the hair to the collar.  The boys on the H.S. team with Sarah are trying to talk her into G.I. Jane so she wouldn't have to, but she is opting for the skullcap.

Rule 4-2-1

...The hair in its natural state, shall not extend below the top of an ordinary shirt collar in the back; and on the sides, the hair shall not extend below earlobe level; in the front, the hair shall not extend below the eyebrows... If an individual has hair longer than allowed by rule, it may be braided or rolled if it is contained in a cover so that the hair rule is satisfied.  The cover shall either be a part of the ear gaurds or worn under the ear gaurds.  A bandanna is not considered a legal hair cover.  The cover must be of a solid material and be nonabrasive.  The wrestler opting to wear a legal hair cover must wear it to the weigh-in procedure and be checked for grooming with it on.  The legal hair cover must be removed prior to the wrestler stepping on the scale to be weighed.  If a referee is not present at weigh-ins, the hair cover must be checked by the meet referee upon arrival at the site.

Thanks for the information.  we used the cap at franklin.  I read on the usgwa at the tournaments no hair cap has to be worn.  I thought that was weird considering the topics that people brought up about a disadvantage on grabbing behind the neck. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.