Jake Lamb a lion for Lowell

January 20, 2009By John O'Malley

Post-Tribune correspondent

Opponents used to have a difficult enough time wrestling Lowell's Jake Lamb.

Now the challenge the Red Devils' 119-pounder presents to competitors is even more arduous.

"He used to put himself in poor position to get taken down early," first-year Lowell coach Joe Willmann said. "Jake wouldn't sweat that, though, because he's a good wrestler. He could always make it up and get himself out of trouble. But in a high-level match, you can't always make those points up."

With that in mind, Willmann attempted to change Lamb's early-match strategy. He realized the senior already had his own successful style, so he wasn't about to change everything about him.

Willmann just wanted to try to change some of the little things Lamb liked to do. It was a change in philosophy.

"Jake has a funky style all his own," Willmann said. "I told him we don't want to give up a takedown. We want to fight for every point. Really, it's something that didn't happen over night, but he's done a great job with that."

Lamb finished 30-9 last year and lost in the ticket round of the semistate to Merrillville's Anthony Napules as a junior last season.

With his newly adopted, early match aggressiveness, Lamb is 26-1 overall, with 23 pins this season.

"Coach Willmann has definitely pushed me to get the first takedown and made me more confident on my feet," Lamb said. "I wasn't always as confident in the neutral position as I am now. Coach taught me to be more stubborn and not give up the first takedown.

"Really, it was a confidence thing -- getting the mindset that I can get the first takedown. It's nice being up 2-0 more, now, instead of (opponents) taking me down, and then me getting a reversal just to tie it up. Before, I was a little more accepting about letting my opponent get the takedown."

Lamb bought into the change in philosophy after Willman pointed out the advantages of being more aggressive early.

"I guess I really changed for him," Lamb said. "I've done a lot better on my feet this year than I have in the past -- no matter if it's the first takedown or the third," Lamb said.

Lamb's goal is to wrestle at the state finals at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis next month.

He's motivated by last year's controversial season-ending loss to Napules.

In that match, an official called a pin for Lamb, but another official, with help from a Merrillville coach, determined Lamb's pin occurred out of bounds. The match went into overtime where Lamb lost, 10-8.

"Being that close to going to state, and then having it taken away, has definitely been motivation for me to work harder and make sure I get there this year," Lamb said. "I'll do everything I can this year not to leave it up to the officials."

Willmann believes Lamb has what it takes to make his dream a reality.

"I love Jake's coachability," he said. "He doesn't always do everything you talk about, but he's a good leader. If we needed a fall to win a match, I don't know if there's anyone I would trust to get that more than him.

"He doesn't go out on the mat and play with kids -- he goes out and gets the job done. That's a great thing to do as a wrestler. He wants his matches to be as short as possible. If he could, he'd have all his opponents pinned in 10 seconds or less."

Lamb admits he's been successful, despite his unorthodox style.

"I've been able to succeed in everything you're not supposed to do," he said. "Every coach I've had has had a difficult time coaching me, because I've made things that aren't supposed to work, work. I can do things they've never seen before.

"A lot of times I don't even know what I'm doing, because I just go with the feel. Sometimes, people say, 'What move was that?' I tell them: 'I don't know. My guess is as good as yours.'"

At least some of Lamb's unorthodox style can be traced to wrestling he did as a youth.

His dad, Scott, used to wrestle with him when he started out in club wrestling as a 9-year-old.

"My dad used to tell me to do what works -- not what you're told," Lamb said.

"Coach has changed me, but he's changed me in a positive way. I'm able to keep my unorthodox ways, but still listen to him."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.