Portage's Keith making his own name in wrestling

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size BY JIM PETERS

jpeters@nwitimes.com

219.548.4363 | Wednesday, January 14, 2009 | No comments posted.

The name on the wall in the Portage wrestling room serves as a regular reminder to Kyle Keith.

Eric Keith, 2000 state champion, 140 pounds.

"It motivates me," Kyle said.

Not necessarily to match his brother's accomplishments, not even to try to distance himself his long shadow, just to establish a wrestling identity of his own.

"I was talking to someone (Monday), I remember when I was young, it was, 'oh, that's my brother, I want to be like him,'" Kyle said. "I looked up to him. Every time I saw him walk out on the mat, I thought, 'oh my gosh, he's really good.' It was very special for my brother, our family. We all went through it. I grew up watching the Portage dynasty. I like it that (Eric)'s my brother. I just didn't really care to be known as 'Eric's little brother'. But I don't have a problem with it now."

Eric, who wrestled at Michigan State, and dad Kerry remain huge influences. They scout matches for Kyle and Eric's forever tutoring him, though the two are completely opposite wrestlers. Eric weighed 140 and was a takedown machine. Kyle's a 189 who thrives on back points.

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/01/14/sports/indiana_prep_sports/doce14e0ee63ae7b2ac8625753d00634c4e.txt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.