a Question for the "Old Folks" to benefit the Wrestlers Today

BlueBolt

Knowing that wrestlers currently competing log on here and read over the postings, I was wonder what those of us who are no longer competing could offer in the way of wisdom gained from our wrestling days.

How has wrestling shaped your life since leaving competition? 

What good memories do you have of those days?

What bad memories do you have?

Is there a personal expirence you can share that would benefit these young people?  If so what is it?

I think the one lesson I learned that has stuck with me the most is that it doesn't matter what people say to you or about you...What is SUPPOSED to happen, or what is "100% for sure" is anything but! 

If you worship you opponant, he has already won, if you fear your opponant, he has beaten you...He should be more worried about you than you ever will be him.  Respect each person you face, and regardless of the outcome, that respect should only increase on both peoples part. 

Words spoken, written, or read that demean are the words of a weak mind.  To allow these weaknesses to figure into your defeat is YOUR fault, not the speakers. 

ANYONE can win at ANY GIVEN TIME.  This is WHY we actually have the matches!  "Favorites" go out the window when the first whistle blows.

Prepare for each and every match as YOUR match, you only have a few of those glorious events in this life!

Two main things I learned

1. Your competitive career is very short, even if you wrestle in college.  Take advantage of it while you can, the girls, the parties, etc will be there when you are done.

2.  Cutting weight doesn't make you a better wrestler, its technique, conditioning, heart, work ethic, etc that makes you good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.