Westfield looks tough this year!

inmarine77

I was at HSE Invite this weekend and they were far and away the best all around team there. They dismantled Richmond, Zionsville and Rossville, buthad a closer match with the home team Hamilton SE.

My only complaint was one of the officials there was so inept that I would not trust him to do a middle school exhibition match. The one thing I can say for the guy is that he is very consistent, CONSISTENTLY HORRIBLE. I am going to find out his name and tell every coach I know to watch out for him and to never bring him to any of there contests!!! My brother is an official and his father in law officiated at state last year and after showing them a tape of just a few of his matches they where in dismay. I usually do not make it a point to harp on the officials because it can be very difficult sometime but this guy has no place on a mat of any variety. It is a shame to see a great wrestling match ruined because of a moron!   

So when will you be taking the ref  test and getting your own stripes?

So matts I guess you have never had a son or brother loose a match due to the neglagance of an official! If you had you would reallize the importance of a quality official with the ability to simply, do his job to the best of his ability. There is no question that being an official at any levle is no easy task, but that person should reallize their experience levle and stay there untill they are 100% sure they can handle the many situations that can come about in a hard fought Varsity wrestling match. There are many great officials out there but there are also incometent smug officials that need to have much more practice and even more so they need to have accountabillity for thier actions. So matts I hope you can take your own advice and go take your "ref test" so you can be a part of the solution aswell.

So when will you be taking the ref  test and getting your own stripes?

So matts I guess you have never had a son or brother loose a match due to the neglagance of an official! If you had you would reallize the importance of a quality official with the ability to simply, do his job to the best of his ability. There is no question that being an official at any levle is no easy task, but that person should reallize their experience levle and stay there untill they are 100% sure they can handle the many situations that can come about in a hard fought Varsity wrestling match. There are many great officials out there but there are also incometent smug officials that need to have much more practice and even more so they need to have accountabillity for thier actions. So matts I hope you can take your own advice and go take your "ref test" so you can be a part of the solution aswell.

You should never let the ref determine the outcome of a match if you think you didn't win because of a refs bad call then you didn't do enough to win!

You should never let the ref determine the outcome of a match if you think you didn't win because of a refs bad call then you didn't do enough to win!

[/quote

You?re not understanding my point! As a wrestler you should never worry about anything but your opponent and your game plan and your teammates, nothing else. I am certainly not saying that every time a wrestler looses that they should storm off the matt blaming the official for screwing them, or anyone else for that matter. What I am saying is that an official is VERY important in a match and certainly have an ill effect on the outcome of a match, and that there needs to be some serious self evaluation and accountabillity for some not all of  our officials.

This could be the most overused quote in the history of wrestling. Does it have some truth to it? Of course but when you have two good wrestlers on the mat, an incompetent official could decide who wins or loses that match and that' s a shame especially if it's in February. For those of you who say that only licensed wrestling officials can criticize other wrestling officials, give me a break! Using that logic, only soldiers could call into question the wars we fight or parents could not question their kids teachers. Nobody is perfect, officials included, but if you're going to step on the mat to officiate, you better know your stuff.

As for Westfield, I haven't seen them this year but last year at Team Regionals they looked pretty tough. I'm not sure how many they have returning from last year's team but if they do, they'll be a team to look out for @ the North Montgomery Regional.

former130 it is clear you have no intention of being open to an actual discussion, as a mater of fact it seems you just want to be confrontational and not even consider someone else might have a legit opinion. As for the officials, I just want there to be a different standard when it comes to officiating in High school and Middle school, there is just to much at stake at this level for a young man.

I think Westfield can compete with anyone from there sectional for a title, but I dont know how they would fare against the big big boys. Here are a couple of wrestlers I want to see later 

171- Peter (very strong and quick)

215- Petty (he did loose to Kim-HSE though) but both of these guys are tough.

I have no problem discussing anything I just think that blaming the ref for a wrestlers shortcomings is a sorry excuse.  If you think about it surely there is something the wrestler could have done differently to not have the ref be put in that position and you should be working on that instead of worring about the ref.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.