Supreme Sportsmanship and Beyond (The Bigger Picture)

Today at the Mooresville Holiday Classic, following the 190 lbs Championship Bout, the parents of the 2nd Place wrestler from Cascade HS, Braxton Lewis, approached the father of Collin Casad, the champion. After a brief introduction of themselves, Lewis's father told Eric Casad that they had learned of the passing of Eric's son Nick, a former Terre Haute South wrestler and older brother to Collin - in a car accident earlier this year. They offered their condolences, and then informed Eric Casad (standing next to me) that they too had lost a son in an accident. Eric Casad and the Lewis parents seemed to experience a profound bond as Lewis's parents congratulated Eric Casad on Collin's victory, and expressed that they were happy for fhe Casad family - and happy to go away with 2nd. The Lewis parents related, "It's bigger than this (the wrestling)". Braxton had left last year's Holiday Classic with a broken leg, they explained. The Lewises wished the Casads well and expressed that they hoped to see them again - and that they'd keep them in their thoughts and prayers. 

This year both young men wrestled their hearts out while wearing the singlets of their older brothers who were not physically present at today's meet, but whose imprints of brotherly love surely remain in the hearts of these two young men today, of their families, and those who knew them.

This was the most moving expression of supreme sportsmanship - and beyond - that I've seen in my years attending wrestling events. 

Very best wishes to both families! 

Photo 1: 2021 Fargo all-Americans (Greco) Joshua Howell (asst coach of Terre Haute South) and Nick Casad, brother of Collin.

Photo 2: Nick Casad and other former THS wrestlers attending last year's 2022 Mooresville Holiday Classic 

Screenshot_20210723-184029~2.jpg

IMG_20230611_224130_01.jpg

The Lewis Family is a stand up family!

Going through loss is never easy, I cannot imagine losing a brother, these 2 boys have gone through so much as just HS kids.

Resect to them both for a great weekend for wrestling and hoping continued success for both of them!