Solved it

Steve Smith

High school done so I gotta watch college.  Almost as ridiculous as freestyle with 2 points with each flip.

Get rid of riding time in college wrestling. 3 points for takedown. Now if you get an escape and another escape after choosing down on period 2 you are still 1 point down. 

Now you still have to take him down to win. No more lying on top to get points instead of trying to turn. 

OK, hit me!

22 minutes ago, Steve Smith said:

High school done so I gotta watch college.  Almost as ridiculous as freestyle with 2 points with each flip.

Get rid of riding time in college wrestling. 3 points for takedown. Now if you get an escape and another escape after choosing down on period 2 you are still 1 point down. 

Now you still have to take him down to win. No more lying on top to get points instead of trying to turn. 

OK, hit me!

riding time only matters if you accumulate more than a minute surplus at the end of the match, which is an incredibly hard thing to do.  Most of those guys also aren't just laying there; they're constantly attacking wrists/elbows/ankles looking for the turn because they know the other guy is good enough to get a takedown and swing the match if they don't score more points (if they weren't, they wouldn't be there).  Honestly, I love the format, and I kind of wish they'd bring the 4 points for a 5 count near fall and the neutral danger scoring to high school.

1 minute ago, rrschott said:

riding time only matters if you accumulate more than a minute surplus at the end of the match, which is an incredibly hard thing to do.  Most of those guys also aren't just laying there; they're constantly attacking wrists/elbows/ankles looking for the turn because they know the other guy is good enough to get a takedown and swing the match if they don't score more points (if they weren't, they wouldn't be there).  Honestly, I love the format, and I kind of wish they'd bring the 4 points for a 5 count near fall and the neutral danger scoring to high school.

Actually, I have seen more HS wrestlers looking to turn and more college wrestlers looking for riding time, especially heavyweights.

I agree with the 4 point 5 count near fall and it would have been my second suggestion. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Smith said:

Actually, I have seen more HS wrestlers looking to turn and more college wrestlers looking for riding time, especially heavyweights.

I agree with the 4 point 5 count near fall and it would have been my second suggestion. 

I'd argue you've seen more high school kids score turns.  Even in the heavyweights, at least in the Big10, they're constantly attacking and looking for something to use for a turn/tilt, but they're just really good at defending it.  It's subtle, but still there.  

1 minute ago, rrschott said:

I'd argue you've seen more high school kids score turns.  Even in the heavyweights, at least in the Big10, they're constantly attacking and looking for something to use for a turn/tilt, but they're just really good at defending it.  It's subtle, but still there.  

could be. i will watch for it.