Athlete spotlight: Deondre Wilson, Warren Central High School wrestling

Coach Brown

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012212130309&nclick_check=1

Athlete spotlight: Deondre Wilson, Warren Central High School wrestling

Indystar

Warren Central High School wrestling coach Danny Williams follows the area wrestling scene closely. So when he found out Deondre Wilson was transferring from Tech to Williams' program, the coach -- who already had seven wrestlers returning from a squad that qualified for team statea year ago -- was excited.

"As soon as I heard the news, I was pretty thrilled," Williams said. "I think that Deondre has all the tools to be very good. He's a very good athlete and he loves the sport. And he gets better every day."

As a sophomore last year, Wilson went 22-6, falling in the second round of the New Castle Semistate -- one win shy of advancing to Banker's Life Fieldhouse and the state meet. He's currently ranked fourth in the state at 120 pounds by indianamat.com with a record of 10-0 through last weekend.

Although he was ranked No. 7 in the state preseason poll at 113 pounds by indianamat.com, he's expected to wrestle at 120 pounds for the Warriors.

"He's got a pretty good attitude," Williams said. "Now we're just working on getting the mental part of wrestling all together for him. But I think he has all the tools to be a state champ. I really do."

Williams should know, having won back-to-back crowns for the Warriors in 2001 and '02. He said the way Wilson's season ended last year has served to motivate the wrestler.

"You look at your kids and say, 'How far did they get last year and what can they do to get past that?' " Williams said. "Deondre smelled that next round. He was right there. Coming back as a junior with that experience is great. He knows now he just has to win that one more match, and everything is about being ready for that. Maybe it's just doing one little thing in practice one day that makes it happen. But that's the goal we're working toward with Deondre."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.